Water repellant paint. Recommendation.

almostthere

I have patio doors and the bottom part of the door is slowly rotting. I want to paint over this area with a paint that can repel moisture. Can anyone recommend a brand that I might use? I see large 5 litre tins of paints for sale but I would only need a litre or so. Thanks

Painting over rotting wood rarely leads to a good result. Removing rotten elements and filling prior to painting will give a much longer-lasting solution. Exterior wood paint and stains are widely available in tins 250ml and up.

If water pooling around the door that should be addressed or you'll never fully resolve the rot.

What worked for me with wet rot was to cut away loose bits and apply Ronseal Wet Rot Wood Hardener. Then I filled in with Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler. This is an epoxy resin filler designed for repairing wood damaged by wet rot. Then I brushed on Owatrol Oil because it helps to drive out moisture and protect the wood going forward. Finally I used Sikkens woodstain undercoat and then a Sikkens topcoat.
If you just fill and paint then you'll just delay rotting.

Thanks. I had the rotten pieces of wood removed and replaced about 3 years ago. Areas around this then started to rot. I removed these and filled with a wood filler. I then used a Zinsser 123 paint. I am not sure that this is enough, hence my question.

I will have a look at the Owatrol oil and Sikkens paint.

My patio doors are perfect 9/10ths, it's just the bottom 1/10th that is causing the problem.

Back