water purifiers

mickeyg

Anyone have experience of these? Had a guy round last night trying to flog this apparatus that you attach under the sink in kitchen which transforms the manky tap water into crystal clear stuff. Also showed that the bottled water bought in shops was even more contaminated than my tap water which was worrying.
He was checking for TDS (?) don't remember what the full acronym stands for but the S is "solids"!
How reliable is what he demonstrated and is bottled water highly contaminated??

We had a guy call over a few weeks ago (about a week after posting leaflets about the system). I told him that we had just sat down to dinner and it wasn't a convenient time, he then put his foot inside the door and wouldn't stop talking at me.

I just said that I had been interested but wasn't any more due to his rudeness.

Looks like a good system and I would be interested but not with such an agressive salesperson!

Cahir said:
he then put his foot inside the door and wouldn't stop talking at me. !

Really? Wouldn't he be trespassing on your property? Could you not call gards and report it? I hate to think of this salesperson approaching an elderly member of the community in the same manner!

stobear said:
Really? Wouldn't he be trespassing on your property? Could you not call gards and report it? I hate to think of this salesperson approaching an elderly member of the community in the same manner!

To be honest I never thought of it and don't think I would call the police anyway. He was an oldish bloke himself - well into his 50s. It was more irritating than threatening.

mickeyg said:
the manky tap water

Are you sure that this is the case? Local authorities generally spend a lot of money on purifying water to ensure that it is potable. I doubt that the use of further purification technology is necessary in most cases.

I can only tell you that the water after the process which he used to show up the impurities in the water - dipping 2 metal rods in it - was absolutely manky!!

Black, green vile looking goo is the only way I could describe it. I wouldn't even put my goldfish in it!!!!!!!!

m

Without knowing precisely what these tests were it's impossible to draw any conclusions about the purity of the water.

Water purifiers are a good thing.
You could get the water tested by the local health board for a fee and then consider a system based on their report.
I bought an undercounter system from bestfilters.com and found it good. A decent plumbing store will have water filtration systems. Bear in mind the cost of filters, their availablity and the frequency they need to be changes.

Pat

Without specific ecidence that it was necessary I'd be skeptical that further purification would be necessary in order to improve on the water already purified by the local authority. Of course they may be more applicable to private water schemes/wells. When I hear people claiming that already purified water can be improved upon I always think of the .

Back