Water Pump

You mean why does it fail or why does it actually get placed in the car ? :)

It can fail for numerous reasons, a leak somewhere meaning not enough water passing through it, or just a plain manufacturing flaw, or it was just it's time to die :)

The most common thing to fail is the mechanical seal on the axle. It just wears out from use. Bearings can go in them too and will fail if driven with a leak in the seal for too long. The coolant washes out the grease from the bearing and the bearing dies from lack of lubricant. I have seen the impellor fail the odd time. If there was a leak in the coolant system elsewhere and the user just topped up the coolant with water, the impellor would simply rust in the constant supply of fresh water and fall apart. That's not very common nowadays though.
It used to bug me why the pump had to be replaced with the timing belt. I wondered why it just could have been in a seperate location and then your timing belt job would cost less. But then the pump would never get changed and would most definitely fail, leaving me stuck somewhere with a toasted engine.

ollie

Back