Water not being heated in new house

Bill Struth

Morning folks!

Bought a new house a few months ago, and when the heating is on the water is not heated. We have to constantly use the immersion. Is this normal? It's oil heating. I know it's a simple question but I haven't got the first clue about these things!

Thanks for any replies!

........ I haven't got the first clue about these things!

Unless your willing to put in the time to learn the ins and outs of how a home heating system works probably best to put in a service call with a plumber to service your oil boiler (approx €100). When he's there ask him how to work the controls for water/heating.

But just in case you’re adventurous, here's an idea. Somewhere around your hot tank there might be a thermostatic type valve like this http://www.myson.ie/pages/satcv.htm you need to turn it up. Don’t touch any other type of valve.

Another thing post back how you turn the heating on, what sort of clock, timer, switch is it? Is there a thermostat etc? Do you flick a light type switch to turn the heating on upstairs?

Go and have a look at your cylinder, on one side you should see two pipes entering it about 18" apart and parallel. on the bottom pipe you should see a valve, this controls the flow of hot water through the heating coil in cylinder. ensure this is open, (lefty loosey, righty tighty). it may also be a motorised valve, they default to the off position but can be manual over-ridden. give me more details and i'll advice.

Go and have a look at your cylinder, on one side you should see two pipes entering it about 18" apart and parallel. on the bottom pipe you should see a valve, this controls the flow of hot water through the heating coil in cylinder. ensure this is open, (lefty loosey, righty tighty). it may also be a motorised valve, they default to the off position but can be manual over-ridden. give me more details and i'll advice.
+1, btw only open the valve about 1 third to half a turn to begin with, if you open it too much it might starve your rads and cause the rads furthest from the boiler to run cool.

Thanks for all your help!

I turned the valve round and turned up the wee thermostat and this seems to have done the trick!:)

Back