Water exhausting from gas heating

O

oggie

Hi

We had our gas boiler serviced during the summer. since i turned the heating back on last week i have noticed there is a constant drip of what appears to be water coming from an exhaust pipe coming out of the side of the house when the heating is on. I never noticed this before and am wondering if it something that needs to be adressed.

any help would be appreciated as i dont have a clue

Did the service man perform a gas analysis. If the combustion is not correctly setup then you can get water vapour condensing from your flue gasses. Get it checked again i'd say.

couldnt tell you- my instinct is to get it checked out alright

ive just noticed that the water pressure is at 2.5 bar when heating is off and rises to almost 3.5 bar when heating is on. according to manual the water pressure should be at 1 bar cold and about 1.5 when heating is on

question- can i adjust this and if so how?

The simple way is to bleed of the radiators, but I would suggest that the guy who serviced the system should be involved in putting the problem right.

Just a question about the original post, when you say exhaust pipe , is this where the fumes come out or a small copper pipe coming out below the boiler. The pressure on the boiler should be at 1 bar when the boiler is cold , this should rise to below 3 bar when hot. If it goes above 3 bar a pressure release valve will open causing water to drip out of a small copper pipe coming out the side of the house. This will cause the system to gradually lose water unless it is topped up.
Looks like whoever serviced the boiler put in too much water and left the pressure too high.
The pressure when cold should have dropped as the system is losing water. How long ago was it serviced, maybe he has left the filling loop open?

I think I may have left the filling loop open.- I was fiddling about during the summer trying to turn off supply to radiators and heat water only, thus explaining why pressure was so high.

anyway I closed it and readjusted it to 1 bar but as soon as heating is on it leaks again even though pressure doesnt rise above 3 bar. so looks like the release valve is knackered now. i then have to top up pressure again to 1 bar when it cools down.

had a guy in before weekend who advised me that expansion vessel might be faulty and his fix was to run with zero pressure but i didnt think this was a good idea so i have left heating off since.(manual says a mininum of 1 bar needed) - think he might have been a bit of a cowboy

i have approved gas board man coming tomorrow to sort out. hopefully not too much damage done.

only upside is ive educated myself a bit about how the whole thing works

You can run with waterheating only by simply turning the room thermostat(s) down to ten or thereabouts.