Water butt connection to a wavin sewer pipe?

PaddyBloggit

I have a shed with wavin sewer pipes used as downpipes from the gutters. I'm looking to install some water butts but I'm failing to source a connector/divertor.

Any ideas/links/help? Thanks.

I presume replacing the sewer pipes with standard downpipes is a step too far?

You can get [broken link removed]s you could fit into the sewer pipe to reduce that section down to fit a standard diverter.

I presume replacing the sewer pipes with standard downpipes is a step too far?

It would be.

A reducer sounds right but if I could drill a hole into the wavin pipe and fit something in to divert water it would be the ideal solution. There are two wavin downpipes on the building so the potential to collect a lot of water is high.

Last edited:
Any of the diverters I've see on the market are made for regular downpipes up to 100mm. I might be possible to DIY one of those within a coupler to make a solution a little more aesthetically pleasing than using reducers.

Any of the diverters I've see on the market are made for regular downpipes up to 100mm. I might be possible to DIY one of those within a coupler to make a solution a little more aesthetically pleasing than using reducers.

I've no problem with a home made solution Leo; once I know what I'm doing. :)

Andrew's link gives me hope that there's a ready made solution out there.

I've no problem with a home made solution Leo; once I know what I'm doing. :)

Andrew's link gives me hope that there's a ready made solution out there.

You're unlikely to be the first looking for this alright. I wonder how they achieve his on commercial builds where they'd be using larger diameter pipework also.

The site above only seems to have options for pipes up to 110mm, but this one might work on larger pipes, just perhaps capturing a smaller percentage of the water.

The site above only seems to have options for pipes up to 110mm, but this one might work on larger pipes, just perhaps capturing a smaller percentage of the water.
That looks promising. More options out there than I thought initially.

The pipe you put up in your post is a 100mm pipe, very, very, simple to work with as the attachments are freely available. Go into your nearest builders providers where there's people working behind the counter, tell them your problem, bring the picture and they'll sort you. I'd nearly go as far as saying those guys are genuise's but they might see this and their heads would never fit their shoulders again. Just for info, why did you use 100mm pipes as downpipes and where is the water going to?

Just for info, why did you use 100mm pipes as downpipes and where is the water going to?

It has industrial sized gutters on it and it was easier stick a wavin pipe into it when it was being attached. Water is going into the same drain as the house gutters. Re. the diameter of the pipe; I must check it, but it's at a holiday home so it will be the weekend at the earliest before I can do that.

Back