Watching TV using a projector

Shawady

Has any got experience of using a projector to watch tv in their home?

We are getting renovation work done to a room in our house and the builder suggested that if we were planning on putting a tv in it, we might consider using a projector rather than getting a flat screen tv. He said that it would be cheap enough for the electrician to put the cables in now before plastering and we could have a projector on the ceiling and watch tv on a white wall. He reckons it would be no more expensvie than getting a good flat screen tv.

Sounds great in theory but I would be interested if any has something like this in their own home and how it works out in practise.

Projectors have a fan which is noisy. Room needs to be relatively dark to get a good picture. I use short throw one for the kids in the converted attic which throws a big image up on the sloped ceiling but it's not suitable for adults who complain about the fan noise.

Not sure if this is still the case but projector bulbs do have a life span.
If you are going to be using the projector for hours at a time, you may have to replace the bulb quite frequently which could be expensive.

Certainly put conduit in for wires though. Make sure you can easily replace the wires too, so you can keep up with technology.

I don't have a TV, but have a projector for watching films and box sets on. It's great.

LED based projectors are on the way, no need for cooling and replacing expensive bulbs.

I'd love to have one for movies too, but don't see them as replacing a standard screen for day to day use.

Projector

I got a Home Cinema projector professionally installed in my sitting room, I went with the companys advice and to be fair the fan is almost silent,

Home cinema projectors are usually 16:9, have a high contrast ratio and low lumens. this means on dark scenes (dark night) you can clearly see all picture defination

You do need a dark room so it put a 32" TV in the corner of the room for day use

Reccommend you wire for surround sound