Watching BBC I player

Jay1981

Anyone know away i can watch BBc I player. It says you have to be on uk mainland.

you are supposed to be in the uk to watch it. ni would be in the uk, even though i doubt even sammy wilson claims it is the uk mainland.

the site checks your ip address and if it is not a uk one, you cannot access content.

there are way rounds this, using proxy ip addresses. in my experience the free providers of these are worse than useless.

i think your alternatives are either to pay for a proxy ip service, or set your video recorder up and plan what you want to watch.

BBC iPlayer

Hi,
I have my computer enabled to watch BBC iPlayer. I am in ROI and I use linux operating system, polipo web server, tor and foxyproxy for firefox browser. You could download the tor vidalia bundle for Microsoft XP, or Windows 7 or whatever you use. You would probably need to be using firefox and foxyproxy anyway.

I set up to use either US or UK exit nodes on the tor configuration file, and if UK I watch BBC, or if US I can use pandora music website which is excellent. If you have it set up as UK you'll also be able to listen to spotify.co.uk for music.

It is non-trivial so you'll have a bit of work to do it. Good luck.

Regds,
Gearoid

Forgive my ignorance but all of is double dutch to me. How would a normal non techno person get the BBC thingy without getting some sort of degree?

very interesting ,i have installed tor,but can you explain how to configure it to use IPs from the UK range.

how do you set up the uk and us as an exit node on tor.

I used the following exit nodes below. Please note this is the linux install where the config file resides at /etc/tor/torcc

These nodes were downloaded from torstat.xenobite.eu website. Not sure of exact URL as of now. But you can filter exit nodes by country and just specify the UK ones.

I added the following lines at the bottom and either comment or uncomment the UK or US lines.

# UK exit nodes
exitnodes Alice,anonion,atacama,capoteATWO,ChubZee,DareChPL,dementia,DestroyTerrorismNow,Fenderbender,froschitor,gadg3ts,GZero,IckTor,JimmyGulpRelay,madone,meson
# US exit nodes
#exitnodes 4U2Guess,ac90b671,agent,AldertreeNet,alecto,alphapup,Amunet1,Amunet2,Amunet3,Amunet4,Amunet5,Amunet6,Amunet7,Amunet8,AnAnonymousTorNode,andromeda,AnneOurkey234,Anon,anonomax