watch recommendation

picassoman

Hi,

I have been given the task to get a watch as a present for a male relative - late 30s. Budget is approx 300 euro.

Does anyone have any advice on what to get ? Brand or model ? Or am I better to get one on line ? Or what to avoid maybe ?

Any suggestions appreciated.
-pm

I have a Tisot, apparently they are really good watches if you are a watch type (brother in law is).

What kind of price was it ?

Personally I like a silver chunky watch with silver strap but maybe watch with leather strap might be better....or at least look better in years to come. Might be nice to hand down to a child in later years.

Was a great watch collector years ago both expensive and cheap. Got sense and only use one reasonably cheap one now. Came to the conclusion between battery replacement costs and maintenance charges that it is best to pick out a good looking, cheap watch from Argos and bin when it gives problems

Very personal choice.

I have had a Seiko "kinetic" for the last ten years or so,maybe worth a look...........

Have a Raymond Weil watch for the last 18 years, never missed a beat except for battery replacements and a general clean up after ten years! Can't recommend it highly enough, although maybe more expensive well worth in the long run.

Buy a Glycine.

They are proper Swiss watches - they have good old-fashioned Swiss mechanical movements, though you can get battery-driven quartz versions too. They're also quite rugged.

Most Glycine watches are more expensive than €300 but you might be lucky - I saw one discounted by 50% to €250 recently. There are not many dealers in Ireland - there is one in Temple Bar and one in Johnson's Court (I think) in Dublin.

Tissot are good but I think the styling is maybe a bit immature for a man in his late 30s.

Have a Raymond Weil watch for the last 18 years, never missed a beat except for battery replacements and a general clean up after ten years! Can't recommend it highly enough, although maybe more expensive well worth in the long run.

Have a Raymond Weil too. Love it also but it has been a pain with stopping constantly despite sending it off for repair. It took 6 weeks for the repair and I was so browned off that I didn't return it despite the problem.

I have had a Tissot watch since I was about 20 and am now in my late 60's. (The watch is in better condition than I am!)

So far as immature is concerned, I just tell Mrs K that I'm a man and it isn't my job to grow up!

I have had a Tissot watch since I was about 20 and am now in my late 60's. (The watch is in better condition than I am!)

So far as immature is concerned, I just tell Mrs K that I'm a man and it isn't my job to grow up!

Great post!

Some men prefer hi-tec digital watches, others prefer your traditional clock face. Would be a good idea to find out which type your relative likes before deciding what to buy.

I know this might be too cheap for your budget, but I have a Citizen Ecodrive (not same as one listed) and they are excellent watches.

Very well built, nice designs and never need wound up or batteries.

Check out this one currently on offer at Argos: