Waste of delivering 9,000,000 pages in Irish language

And now I'm waiting for someone to dissect my posts and correct my english...it's really not worthwhile making a grammatical correction on AAM 'cause it generally comes back to bite you on the...

Don't wate on me cause I dunno whats right nor rong half the time so I dont.

If there was a demand for junk mail in the Irish language there would be more than the Irish govt - paid by you and me - doing it.

I think you'll find the demand for junk mail is zero in all languages.

Could some brave soul not sue this particular government department for littering, wasting a government employee's time and in general causing irritation to 99.5% of the population?

Could some brave soul not sue this particular government department for littering, wasting a government employee's time and in general causing irritation to 99.5% of the population?

Unfortunately the manpower involved in translating, printing + distributing those 9 million pages in Irish alone is more than "a government employee"

Unfortunately the manpower involved in translating, printing + distributing those 9 million pages in Irish alone is more than "a government employee"

I think the extra manpower is only needed for the translation(s), as they will be handled by the same printer and distributed at the same time.

I think the extra manpower is only needed for the translation(s), as they will be handled by the same printer and distributed at the same time.

So you mean to say that if I want to print and distribute a circular, the printing and distribution costs will not increase even if I decide I want to double the number of pages in the circular?

I dont think that is what was stated at all by MrMan, the only increase he mentioned was manpower. Costs would obviously be increased to include the Irish section.

My poor postmans back was nearly broken because he had to distribute a pile of 18 page books instead of 9 page books. There are bound to be extra manpower costs along the chain involved beside translation along the chain when the govt wanted 18 page books instead of 9 page books

This argument gets more ridiculous as you go on. You now have concerns for your poor postman. Does the load he has to carry correspond to the amount of pages in each book or by the weight he could carry? If the booklets were printed in English only would he have been handed twice the amount to deliver.
It started as an environmental issue,now your worried about your poor postman? Its an anti Irish language quible you have and nothing more.

You now have concerns for your poor postman.

I sure do. He was the one who complained most about having to deliver the duplicate junk mail pages in a language virtually nobody was going to read... and as he correctly said it not only was literally a pain for him to deliver all that unecessary weight , but it has environmental and cost implications as well. Its not an anti-langauage quible he or I has - people are welcome to speak Chinese if they want in Ireland - oopps in fact, more do than speak Irish. lol

I sure do. He was the one who complained most about having to deliver the duplicate junk mail pages in a language virtually nobody was going to read...

I'd say very few read the english section.

I'm sure he singled out the extra pages of the Irish section of this particular booklet for critiscism but is only too happy to deliver the rest of the useless ads/leaflets/junk that is sent out each day.

I'd say very few read the english section.

I'm sure he singled out the extra pages of the Irish section of this particular booklet for critiscism but is only too happy to deliver the rest of the useless ads/leaflets/junk that is sent out each day.

I am sure far less would glance through or read the Irish language section than the English language section. Its his job to deliver what his bosses give him to deliver, but obviously having to deliver 18 pages instead of 9 does add up ....not just in handling / distribution / printing / environmental costs etc.

I dont think that is what was stated at all by MrMan, the only increase he mentioned was manpower. Costs would obviously be increased to include the Irish section.
Thats it thanks, as for the postman remark, i'm starting to think that rabbit might be trolling.

MrMan, if you think a postman is not entitled to an opinion on anything, that is your problem, not his. Anyway, I have made my point, and have more to do than this , so I am not going to debate this thread any more. Thank you.

MrMan, if you think a postman is not entitled to an opinion on anything, that is your problem, not his.

Ya thats exactly what I said, and I think you are proving my last point.

Who decided that Irish is the 'first language' of the State? It should be English, because more people speak it.

The Irish public voted in out constitution in 1937- a document that served this country well.

The Irish public voted in out constitution in 1937- a document that served this country well.

Maybe we should change the constitution to reflect the reality of how people choose to live in the state, and officially promote English to the first national language of the state. I dont think that Irish and EU taxpayers should pay for people to feel an enhanced level of self esteem by proving to others that they are not English. Its nationalism gone mad.

As for culture, almost everyones points of cultural reference are through the English language. It would more akin to losing an identity than 'gaining' one at this stage to promote Irish as a prime language now.

Maybe we should change the constitution to reflect the reality of how people choose to live in the state, and officially promote English to the first national language of the state.

And maybe we should just change our name while we're at it.