Waste of delivering 9,000,000 pages in Irish language

R

rabbit

Just got a 18 page book delivered by the friendly postman as part of his junk mail delivery ....its called " Getting it sorted - Resolving your complaints". The postie was presumably delivering them to every house / dwelling / business in the country ? Anyway , half the full colour book is in Irish. What a waste of scare resources and how environmentally unfriendly can you get. If every postal address in the country gets these 9 pages in Irish think of the waste.

There has been a glossy 'Preparing for Major Emergencies' one recently that really didnt tell you anything you didnt already know that was half in Irish also.

So rabbit is your problem with the full colour 18 page book or just with the fact that 9 pages were in Irish. What if it was an 18 page book in English, would you still feel as annoyed? We've already had lengthy discussions on the merits of Irish tranlsations on here before, have a read if ye want.

So rabbit is your problem with the full colour 18 page book or just with the fact that 9 pages were in Irish.

One is bad enough, the two together is breaking the posties back.

Do think that printing that 9,000,000 - or even 18,000,000 and delivering them needlessly around the country , at a cost to you , me and the environment - is necessary ?

Do think that printing that 9,000,000 - or even 18,000,000 and delivering them needlessly around the country , at a cost to you , me and the environment - is necessary ?

Nope, I agree completely it is a total waste of money (as I believe was that ridiculous preparing for emergencies booklet). I just don't think the fact that half of it is in Irish is in any way relevant - I think the English half is just as much a waste of money!

The thing about the information in these booklets (whether or not in English or Irish) is that is doesnt need to be presented in a glossy printed book, a plain white A4 sheet would have sufficed. I was particularly irked by the references made in the Emergencies one that told you in the event of certain emergencies (a flood for example) that there was ANOTHER booklet that gave you the details on what to do!

I haven't received this 'Preparing for Major Emergencies' booklet yet, but I remember Mary Harney announcing two years ago that overcrowding in Irish A&E departments constituted a 'national emergency'. Is there anything in the booklet about that?

I haven't received this 'Preparing for Major Emergencies' booklet yet, but I remember Mary Harney announcing two years ago that overcrowding in Irish A&E departments constituted a 'national emergency'. Is there anything in the booklet about that?

No, it was more about what to do in the event of a nuclear emergency. Close the windows and doors... and other inane stuff.

I just don't think the fact that half of it is in Irish is in any way relevant - I think the English half is just as much a waste of money!

lol because you think nobody reads English....nobody may ever want any of the contact details etc in the booklet ?

Having all the govt publication duplicated in Irish is a scandalous waste of money, ink and trees...and energy distributing them.

lol because you think nobody reads English....nobody may ever want any of the contact details etc in the booklet ?

Having all the govt publication duplicated in Irish is a scandalous waste of money, ink and trees...and energy distributing them.

But the same amount of money/trees and energy went into distribution even if it was only in english.

But the same amount of money/trees and energy went into distribution even if it was only in english.

No. half the trees and ink would be used if it was in English only. The fist 9 pages of the book are in English. The last 9 pages are in Irish.

... and I said that where now?

You said you " think the English half is just as much a waste of money!".
I think everyone is agreed the Irish half is a total waste of money. However, I would think it safe to assume some people will get some use out of the information in the English language part of the An Post book....therefore how can you argue it is just as much a waste of money ?

Just got a 18 page book delivered by the friendly postman as part of his junk mail delivery ....its called " Getting it sorted - Resolving your complaints".
Did the booklet explain how to resolve your complaint in this instance?

oh I understand you - its not like English written with Irish translation directly underneath it. Come to think of the the Emergencies one is the same type of layout.

Printing it in English is a complete waste of time/money, in Irish also is just more of a waste of time/money. Most people put junk mail like that directly in the bin regardless of what language its in.

No no they are only going to send out another booklet when something like a pantemic (bird flu etc) or maybe nuclear fallout is about to hit us.
Of course they also say that you should refrain from going out and being near people, so not sure what happens if the transistion year student that writes these things happens to have the flu that week and can't go in.

And then we wonder why other nations make Irish jokes