Washing Machine water options

• Thread starter michaelcradd
  • Start date
M

michaelcradd

Hello all, I am moving to an old house in the country, which is surrounded by farms. Our utility room is at the back of the garage and the washing machine is to go in that room. My question is: Am I allowed to let the waste water filter through a hole in the ground (3/4ft deep), filled with rocks and gravel?

Thanks in advance.

In short no, this question has been posed many times. Grey water (as it's called) must be discharged to a suitable treatment system (i.e. to a treatment plant via public sewer or to a septic tank or other approved treatment system). Such grey water will contain detergents, phosphates and the like which would find their way into the water table, unless properly treated. Untreated effluent that enters the water table can enter your (or someone else's) water supply, particularly when water is drawn from a bored well.

Sorry about the double posting! Could find anything similar to my question! What other options would I have without having to dig up the entire garden? The sewage tank is at the back of the garden and I think its one of those bio type systems.

Can you not break into the existing foul sewer at some point on the perimeter of the house, without going direct to the septic tank? An AJ or manhole (depending on invert of sewer) may be constructed at the appropriate location, giving you access to the sewer. Some small building work is required but a day or two of graft would do the job, depending on location of sewer and proximity to the washing machine outlet of course. In the past it was common enough for washing machines to be discharged to soakaways but (environmental issues aside) they tended to quickly clog up due to the effluent and were never satisfactory in performance. A washing machine could be also discharged to an existing 4" soil stack via a strap on boss, in certain circumstances.

Back