Washing machine tripping switchboard

pavlov

My washing machine keeps triggering the trip-switch in the fuseboard. It's a Bendix - a couple of years old. The washing machine is definitely to blame - other things work fine in the same socket and I know all my other appliances/sockets are fine after going through them one-by-one. Any ideas? It works for about 15 seconds and then the trip-switch goes. I've had a look at the plug and it seems fine - after all it shouldn't work for 15 seconds if it was to blame. I'm stumped. Do I need an electrician or a washing machine fixer?

appliances that use water w/m, kettles, irons tend to trip to fuseboard when faulty. sounds like you need domestic appliance repair man

What exactly is it tripping on the fuseboard - the trip switch/MCB or the ELCB?

Had the very same problem last week. It seems there was condensation from the heat at the back of the machine getting into the socket causing it to trip. When the socket dried out and sorted out the condensation problem it stopped tripping.

Thanks for the replies. I really don't think that there is any condensation involved that could be causing this problem. Seantheman, as you say, it may be a problem with the appliance itself.
Clubman, how can I tell if it's the MCB or the ELCB?
The one that is tripping is blue, not black like the other ones on the same row. Also, it appears to have a little box of it's own attached to it. Also, it has not been named 'sockets' or 'lights' like the others. However, it doesn't look like it is the MAIN trip switch. Hope I'm describing it ok!

Clubman, how can I tell if it's the MCB or the ELCB?
The ELCB should be labelled ELCB. Most or all of the other trip switches are [M]CBs as far as I know.
Sounds like it's the ELCB. See Wikipedia for details about ELCBs versus MCBs and the circumstances in which each might trip.

The ELCB should be labelled ELCB. Most or all of the other trip switches are [M]CBs as far as I know.
Sounds like it's the ELCB. See Wikipedia for details about ELCBs versus MCBs and the circumstances in which each might trip.
The MCB is a mains circuit breaker, which trips out when appliances connected to the circuit are overloaded, ie the current is too high for the trip to handle.
The ELCB is an earth leakage circuit breaker, which detects any earth leakage in the circuit and trips. If you have earth leakage ( which it sounds like you have ) the positive wire in your washing m/c circuit is leaking to earth somewhere ie its shorting out somewhere.
I would check all connections and wires for exposure / shorting. condensation could cause this too.
hope this helps

Yeah - from reading other posts here and elsewhere condensation at the back of the machine seems to be a common cause of such a short.

Thanks again for the replies. We finally got the washing machine fixed. Turns out there was something wrong with a belt inside the machine. Got it replaced by a repair guy and cost 70euro.

the belt could have been misaligned causing the motor to work harder, thus drawing more current, thus causing a trip

That's what I initially assumed too, but the OP said it was the earth leakage protection that tripped, not the over-current...
Leo

That's what I initially assumed too, but the OP said it was the earth leakage protection that tripped, not the over-current...
Leo
well spotted Leo, a motor overload would not cause elcb to trip. very confusing