Washing machine stopped mid wash

cbruen1

Hi - I have a Hotpoint Aquarius WD 240 washer/dryer combined. It's about 10 months old and I bought it new from Power City in Coolock. I was doing a wash a couple of days ago, and after the wash finished I put it onto dry for 60 minutes. When I got up next day it had started another wash, but it was stuck. The On/off light and 2 other lights were flashing. It's now half full with water and no matter what I do it won't open or drain or finish off the wash! I've tried putting it to another wash and restarting, I've tried setting it to drain but nothing works. I left it switched off overnight but when I turned it on again it does the same thing.

Does anyobne know what might be causing this? I don't have the receipt for it but it's definitely less than a year since I bought it, so would Power City have records of the purchase, and will they replace it if it's faulty?

Thanks in advance.

The manual should give some indication of what the flashing lights mean. These are generally used in combination as error codes, so the particular combination you're seeing may pinpoint the problem here.

Did you pay by credit card? The statement should sufffice as proof of purchase.
Leo

Think the filter may be blocked which will not allow the machine to drain. Sounds like a similar problem which happens mine from time to time. On the bottom right hand side of the machine there should be a round cover.

Take the cover off and unscrew the filter. Place something under the filter (basin) as you will get water everywhere otherwise. Clean the filter out, plug the machine out, drain any excess water and should be ready to roll again.

Hope this helps.

It could be the filter but there is usually an emergency draining hose tucked away there for just such occasions.
Happened to us once, got out instructions and found out it was easy enough to fix (this time!)... get a bucket or a baisin, drain water into it with emergency hose (probably at bottom of machine). I think they hold quite a lot of water if memory serves! Then you 'll be able to open the filter...where some water will drain out as usual...so have a tray and cloth ready there. I found a coin in my filter.

Good luck...

The same thing happened to me - stopped mid cycle and couldnt drain it.
I got a technician out to look at it, and a small item of underwear had been sucked into the drain filter and was blocking the drain! It was a bit embarassing when he pulled it out! :)
If I known about the drain I could have fixed it myself in 5 mins.
As others said, water will flood out once you open the drain, so have a basin and towels handy.

Ok so a blockage of some sort sounds like the problem. However I looked at the machine last night and I couldn't see any drain or filter...does anyone know that model (Hotpoint Aquarius WD 240) and where the drain/filter might be?

If you only bought this machine 10 months ago then you are definitely covered by a gurantee. Call the shop and they will give you the contact details for the repair man who should be free of charge in the first 12 months after purchase. I assume you filled out and sent off any documentation that came with the machine for the full guarantee. However, the first 12 months guarantee is with the shop so the reciept should be sufficient.
Regarding Hotpoint as a brand, one of the main reasons I have never bought one is that the filter is not accessable from the outside, the whole outer cover of the machine has to come off to get to the filter - and of course if you remove the cover the guarantee is then usually null and void. (There is usually a sticker warning you about this on the back of the machine)

Had something similar(ish) happen to us a few years back. It wasn't with the make/model specified here though. Some wire had come detached from some underwear and had got blocked/wedged behind the actual rotating drum. This blockage caused the machine to automatically & immediately shut down.

Had to get a technician in... he identified the prob and fixed it in under 15 mins.

Incidentally the amount of water the average machine uses in a cycle would be around 45 litres. The amount of water in it at any one time would be less than this - since the machine fills/empties several times during a cycle. Either way towels and buckets should be at the ready!

Back