Washing Machine - spin cycle broke

MUM2KIDS

Hi my washing machine broke yesterday. its stops at the spin cycle and won't drain the water. I have released the valce in the front and there was nothing stuck in the machine. Its a Bosch and just over 2 years old. I am no longer covered by warranty for either parts or labour so before I go and call in for repair is there anything I can do / check myself to try and fix. By the way I amnot very good at DIY ..Worst case scenario anyone recommend some one in the lucan area to have a look at it

If you're not good at DIY then don't attempt to repair it yourself unless you are prepared to learn now (possibly the hard way). Get a professional on the job instead.

I intend to clubman, but just want to check there is something basic I should try first like check the pipe/ connections. I don't want to be ripped off for something that I should have known. I only discovered that there was release valve in the front of washing machines recently

Mum2kids, my washing machine did that last year, although it still drained the water, mine wouldn't spin. It turned out to be a belt that goes around the drum had snapped. Defo get it checked out by a professional, hope you get it sorted soon.

Did you clear the filter out? I had the same problem before. Cleaned out the filter (at the front bottom of machine) and it solved the problem. It supposed to be cleaned out every few washes apparently

THis happened to my mothers machine recently and the call-out charge plus fixing the part was only 100 less than a new machine so she replaced it. Worth checking out the cost of fixing/call-out Versus replacement cost.

Same thing happened to me recently. We found a coin in the filter pipe - usually in the front of the machine at the bottom.
Once cleared everything worked fine again.
Good luck.

I have used a guy from Celbridge area-he is very good but it cost-
if u want his name and number let me know.We have a Whirlpool machine that
likes coins and also devours -shall we say-Ladies very "small" underwear-I think its a bit kinky-trouble is the guy I mentioned found around 6 of these "small" items wrapped around a drive shaft-seizing it and breaking a belt.
Now these items must be put in a net bag-and kids pockets must be checked for any small items

thanks for your replies, I have cleared out the filter pipe and it seemed clear. The machine is only 2 years old but I know you mean fobs about the cost. I was sure it had 5 year parts guarantee but when I rang up today it has only 2 which ran out in March! Looks like I will have to call in for repairs.

Hi,

Probably too late for you but it may help others, many washing machines use a diaphragm switch to detect when the water has fully drained, this is connected by a small flexible hose to the sump. The hole in the sump is very small and sometimes get blocked by sludge etc. If you disconnect the hose from the switch and blow through it you should be able to clear the blockage if any.

Last bosch machine I fixed with the same problem was a dry solder joint on the spin realy on the contoller board, very poor soldering on this model. Hope you got it sorted.

Paddy

Hi guys,

Also having terrible trouble with my washing machine. It's Hotpoint so can't check the filter. It won't go around on the wash cycle, the water has spilled out from the powder drawer like it's gone too high, and making very strange noises. I spoke to a repair guy who told me it'll cost about €250 to fix (he didn't look at it, I just described it on the phone), and said maybe I should just buy a new one! It's barely 3 years old though, is this normal? It is very possible that, um, smalls, have made their way round somewhere but can't check filter, what do I do!

You most likely need to replace a part called "the brushes". Part itself costs less than a tenner, and takes about 5 minutes to do. Best left to a pro or at the very least a decent handyman. Not a difficult job, but make sure the machine is plugged out.

Really? A tenner sounds much more appealing than a new washing machine! Can anyone reccomend a handyman that could do this in Kildare? Also where would I get the brushes. Thanks niallymac!