washing machine- powder left in wash ?

suicra05

Bought new washing machine- Bosch, 6 weeks ago. Since then all the family has had skin irritaions. Have tracked it down to the new washing machine. It is not rinsing the clothes properly and leaving the washing powder on clothes and also sometimes in machine after wash. Have tried different powder and also used liquid powder but it is still the same. Any advice please.

All new washing machines have just got a cold feed into them. I assume the water is heating during washing. How would I check this?

Hi Suicra 05, I have a lavamat and have never been able to use powder, it is always liquid. First of all the powder will not disolve at 40 deg. which I use for most of the clothes except whites and towels which are washed at 50deg. or 60deg. Here lies the problem. The water is not hot enough at 40 to clear all the powder or sometimes even the liquid. I believe manufacturers need to go back to the drawing board on this. Have you seen the latest machines where you dont need any detergent. This could be the answer, they cost in the region of €1000.

Have you tried ringing . They are very good on customer service and if you speak to someone in their Service Department they should be able to tell you where the problem is. As the machine is still under warranty they will have to investigate the problem if they cannot provide a solution over the phone.

Our Miele machine was not rinsing the clothes properly either when I first got it. When I called them they explained that the standard setting on their machines is to save water. They directed me to instructions in their booklet which explained how to reset it to include more water on the rinse cycle.

Another thing about powder is that we quite often use far too much. One of the repair guys told me years ago to ignore the amounts stated on the box and see what suits your machine/water quality. I have found that Miele takes far less than my previous Philips/Whirlpool. I have also only been able to use Persil NonBio because as soon as I switched to anything else the whole family broke out in rashes!

You could have a root thru these two sites and you may find some help in either:

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/
http://www.wm1.com/

Swallows said:
Hi Suicra 05, I have a lavamat and have never been able to use powder, it is always liquid. First of all the powder will not disolve at 40 deg. which I use for most of the clothes except whites and towels which are washed at 50deg. or 60deg. Here lies the problem. The water is not hot enough at 40 to clear all the powder or sometimes even the liquid. I believe manufacturers need to go back to the drawing board on this. Have you seen the latest machines where you dont need any detergent. This could be the answer, they cost in the region of €1000.

Not sure about that...nev er noticed any undissolved powder in our 40 degree wash...

According to a very helpful serviceman many years ago whe I was on a dreadful group water scheme, that had appalling water pressure, washing machines fill on one of two ways: by time or by volume and he advised me at the time to buy one that fills by volume so that I would always have the correct volume of water in the machine. Two further washing machines later. latest bought 6 months ago I have always asked in store whether the machines fill by time or volume and I am always told they are all the asme, I always insist they check it out and they are not always the same. Just as they do not always fill by cold water only, all my machines have been by hot and cold fill.
Regarding the powder issue, I have found that tablets that dissolve in the infill tray are usually better (Fairy or Lild Almat non-bio) I always use non-bio for normal washing and usually have a pack of Surf (99 stains removed or your money back!!) on hand for the rugby gear! When I use the Biological powder I always hit the 'intensive rince' button for extra rinse.

you could be loading it too much? A lot of people put too much into the wash and so the clothes arent getting a proper spin

Lyndan said:
you could be loading it too much? A lot of people put too much into the wash and so the clothes arent getting a proper spin

If this is the problem (which I hope it is for your sake) then the easiest way to clear out the powder left behind is to run a cycle of the machine empty. Personally, I've never heard of powder being left behind because the water isn't warm enough.

To clean out soap residue from a washing machine, try running an empty wash with 250ml of malt vinegar. Then clean out your hose etc., as per machine instructions...

It sounds as if your problem might be to do with water pressure. We have found that, in such circumstances, using tablets that you put into the drum works a lot better. Our woeful water pressure wasn't forcing the drawer-added powder through the machine, and loads of residue was getting trapped... Which led to the untimely death of our last washing machine...

simp said:
It sounds as if your problem might be to do with water pressure. We have found that, in such circumstances, using tablets that you put into the drum works a lot better. Our woeful water pressure wasn't forcing the drawer-added powder through the machine, and loads of residue was getting trapped... Which led to the untimely death of our last washing machine...

This is why our serviceman told us to look for a machine that fills by volume, that is the water continues to fill until it reaches a perdetermined volume or level in the machine rather than the tap only coming on for a specified length of time. This has worked well for us and my machines have been replaced because the bearings went and they were not economical to repair. The instruction manual with our machine recommends running the hottest wash (95 degree) occassionally to clear out powder residue, I do this once or twice a year at most.

Serviceman came out. Put new pressure switch to increase the water flow. Has improved a little. But there is still powder left in the clothes. Any ideas on how to sort out this problem.

Go with liquid placed in drum via ball. More efficient and no residue left behind.

Back