Washing machine nearly lifts off when spinning...

Bob the slob

Just used my new washing machine the past few days but when it is spinning I have to hold it down as it causes so much noise and start jumping around. Its on a wooden floor, with nothing underneath it and the little feet on it havent been adjusted yet.

Any suggestions on what to do? My friend that works for whirlpool said its unlikely the feet are causing the problem.

Anyone any other ideas?

Ignore your friend and use the adjustable feet and a spirit level to ensure the machine is level.

its probably due to stabilisers in back of the machine - they are used to stop drum rotating when transporting machines. Recheck your manual - should tell you how to remove them as part of the install process.

Adjusting the legs so it does not rock is the main thing to do now, so don't worry if you don't have a spirit level

its probably due to stabilisers in back of the machine - they are used to stop drum rotating when transporting machines. Recheck your manual - should tell you how to remove them as part of the install process.
I would say this is spot on.Had this a few years ago with a neighbours new machine-a quick look in the manual showed the back needed to be taken off and packing material removed-which I seem to remember included a couple of bricks.Take a look in the manual.

An off balance spin will significantly shorten the life of your machine so sort it out quick!

Just used my new washing machine the past few days but when it is spinning I have to hold it down as it causes so much noise and start jumping around.

As Gallogly say the main cause of "dancing" in a new machine is (forgetting to remove the) stabilisers. The adjustable feet won't be an issue unless one or more of the feet is way out of line with the others i.e. much longer or shorter. Check this when the machine is stopped. If it rocks you have a problem, so adjust them to level as much as possible. if it doesn't rock then this is unlikely to cause you a problem, unless it's very badly sloped.

The most likely cause of your problem, as any woman could tell you (no offence meant ladies! ) is overloading the machine. Either putting in to much - usual man issue - if it fits in the machine, put it in! , alternatively many fabrics hoard water and, once the spin starts, it's like a poltergeist doing the can-can with the machine.

Found this out by experience, and Mrs Marathon Man educated me on the finer points of washing my own gear.

a quick look in the manual showed the back needed to be taken off and packing material removed-which I seem to remember included a couple of bricks.Take a look in the manual.
The bricks are usually required as weights. Very old machines had cast metal frames and so were much heavier. All new ones are sheet steel so the bricks make up the weight. After a couple of years they will break, then the bearings will go and it will be cheaper to buy a new one. Designed in obsolescence!

Hey Bob,

We had the same issue 2 months ago.

Firstly, you do need to adjust the screw-legs to make them all the same lenght to the floor, that's very possibly the main thing.

Other than that, you could put a few bricks or that on top of it !

Hey Bob,

We had the same issue 2 months ago.

Firstly, you do need to adjust the screw-legs to make them all the same lenght to the floor, that's very possibly the main thing.

Other than that, you could put a few bricks or that on top of it !
Oh just seen your last message now !

Well, there we go !!!