Washing machine filling with hot water

Cheese

I had my washing machine (Siemens) moved to new utility room and after the first wash I noticed water in the end of the drum which kept getting higher and spilling out onto floor. When I turned off the hot valve at the back of the machine, where both hot and cold come in, the rising water stopped. I rang the plumber but he hadn't a clue what was wrong and said he'd call back but hasn't. I've left the hot valve turned off until I can figure out what's wrong. Hope someone may have some idea. Thanks!

Is the hot water plumber into the washing machine, because it shouldn't be !
Some machines have both hot and cold water feeds.

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52827
Water coming in when not on

clear water

Fill valve letting water by, needs new valve

Dirty water

Waste pipe blocked. Common problem if connectin m/c wate via a spiggot

clear waste pipe or install waste stand pipe for m/c
So it sounds like you need a new valve?

(I'm not a plumber, but I have in my time broken most plumbing related items. My latest triumph was turning a partial sink drain blockage into a full and total blockage and skinning my knuckles at the same time).

Yes - but I thought that the recommendation these days was to connect both hot and cold to the cold input and not to connect to the hot at all?
That pre-supposes that you don't have a ready supply of hot water cheaply gathered. If you are producing hot water as a "by-product" of your heating system then the astounding A rated efficiency of the washing machine will still not be cheaper than the homespun hot water.

Or am I missing something in why you shouldn't connect the hot feed?

Yes, my machine has both hot and cold feeds. I use oil for heating water so it probably would be cheaper to forget about the hot feed and let the machine heat the water.

Many thanks all, you've been a great help yoganmahew.

If you have a hot and cold fill washing machine and you wish to use cold water supply only then both hoses must be connected to a simlple Y fitting (plastic tee piece designed to fit immediately on the cold wash machine supply valve If it is one of the little chrome ones.

In any event both hoses must have a supply of cold water for the machine to function properly.So initial problem willhave to be adressed

Many thanks.

Some washing machines use hot water to wash the clothes and cold water to rinse them out. Our machine has both feeds - hot water is drawn off the hot water cylinder upstairs (heated by the gas boiler), which is more energy efficient than heating cold water from scratch with the electric element of the washing machine.

Still doesn't explain your problem though! HAve you checked your machine for blockages - filter maybe blocked (usually located at the bottom of the machine).

Thanks quinno. No, there isn't a blockage and machine is emplying well. As yoganmahew says "Fill valve letting water by, needs new valve". So in new year I'll either get new hot valve or connect both hoses to a Y fitting as advised by theplumber. The hot water only comes in on 60 wash, so I'll stay with 40 until fixed.

Newer washing machines are so efficent in their use of water that by the time the hot water makes it to the machine from the cylinder along the pipe work it has had its fill. It can't divert the cold water in the line until it gets the hot water.

Thanks davidoco. Are you saying then that I should get new hot valve rather that the Y fitting to connect both hoses?

I'm talking in general terms when the machine is running that a hot water connection is useless for modern machines as it stops asking for hot water before the hot water makes it to the machine.

I guess your problem is the water inlet on the machine side (in the machine). The valves (red & blue) that your talking about seem to be working as when you turn it off the flooding stops. Fitting a Y valve won't sort that. The mechanical valve inside the machine that controls the hot water inlet must be stuck open or faulty. You'll need an siemens/washing machine engineer to look at that.

When you say you turned off the hot valve at the back of the machine you mean a valve that is connected to your hot/cold pipes and is it something on the back of or attached the siemens itself.

Thanks for explanation davidoco, I was going to buy a valve and have it fitted so you've saved me that trouble. Its not worth getting a Siemens engineer out as the machine is about 6/7 yrs old. I'd like to just leave the hot valve off permanently but if I put on a 60 wash will there be a problem, will the machine fill with cold water as there will be no hot coming in, or must I connect both hot & cold to a Y fitting as theplumber suggested?

It´s me again
Both solenoid valves must be used and working for the machine to function properly.

Thanks theplumber. So I'll have to connect hot & cold to the Y fitting, is that right?

Yes just consult the original installation instructions on how to install a hot and cold machine if only cold is available.

Perhaps a neighbour will have similar instruction leaflet

So hot solenoid if faulty will have to be fixed in any event.
May have damaged seating

Hot isnt via pump by any chance is it?

Thanks theplumber. So I'll have to connect hot & cold to the Y fitting, is that right?

If you think about it a Y fitting will probably lead to exactly the same problem. The only difference will be that the machine will flood with cold water instead of hot water.

Resolving the interior valve for the hot water should be a relatively straight forward fix for any white goods repairman. Worth your while ringing the spare parts suppliers and price or even get the solenoid valve for your hot water inlet on machine. Then when the guy comes you'll have the part and it will only cost you call out and 1/2 hr. Of course it could be something else wrong.

Thanks davidico and theplumber. I think that's probably the safest solution davidoco.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Hi
Just saw your post,

You mentioned you have just moved the machine into a new ulility and then the trouble started. I presume all was ok brfor ethe move.

a possibility is that the hot water pressure is too low for the valve, machine maw be fitted with a high pressure valve, hot water pressure is usually much lower than the cold.

siemens like many german machines require good water pressure,
for many of the machines a good flow pressure is required not just a good pressure.

you eed a new valve, ensure it is suitable for the water pressure, also dont know what voltage the coil of solenoid is, most are 230 volts but some german models have unigue coils which work at lower voltages, ( would be rare though),

By the way the manafacturers always state you should turn off the water shut off valve when finished with a wash, just in case a valve fails to stut , if you were away and this happened the house would be flooded.

Happy Christmas