Washer Jets

Iceman732

I'm after running into a bit of a problem with the drive I'm driving at the moment. The bloody washer jets aren't working on the car! I'm fairly handy with general maintenance on cars, nothing major.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is happening with the jets, done of them are working (front or rear). The car is still under warranty but I'm not particularly keen with the main BMW dealers. (I hate them!)

Any ideas what the common problems are.....

1) Check relevant fuses if you can't hear the pump running
2) Check for water-pipes disconnected if you can hear the pump
3) Check for water

Oh I forgot the water!!!!

The water is pumping and the pipes look fine and there is water in the tank.....

Do I really have to bring it into those idiots of BMW dealers?!! (It's under warranty) Great, I'll end up bringing it back up the north to the BMW dealer up there.

Damn, thanks your help though.

Do I really have to bring it into those idiots of BMW dealers?!! ...
Hopefully not.

I'm fresh out of ideas apart from "sludge" or sediment in the bottom of the reservoir blocking the jets or the pumps.

Sometimes in warm weather (Wa? Warm weather? Was tha'?) there may be an alagal growth in the reservoir or sometimes limescale buildup in hardwater areas. I find an eggcup full of vinegar helps.

Hi, the jets may be blocked, a mechanic with a high air pressure pipe, the type used to put air in your tyres could work. Other than that try taking the jets off and soaking then in some detergent, that may loosen the blockage if there is one.

Try sticking a small needle in the jets - worked for me a few times.

By any chance were you using washing up liquid in the washer bottle. If so the pipe might just be full of bubbles! Happened to me. Mechanic cleared them for me.

Try sticking a small needle in the jets - worked for me a few times.
Some jets have electrics in them to prevent freezing, check first befor using a needle.

OT, On my daughter's old Peugeot 205 I used a needle to adjust the direction of the jets - the mechanics were amazed "Jeyes, I never new da".

Happend to me a few times.
See if you can disconnect the nozzle from the end of the pipe under the bonnet and disconnect the other end from the washer bottle, then use a air line to below out any blockages.
Also as mentioned use a needle to clean the jets.
The pump itself may be clogged or dirt in the bottom of the bottle.
Generally if all you said is working a shot of the air line should solve the problem.