Was payng my tv license by direct debit. Moved out; cancelled dd. Can I be prosecuted

breaks

Hi,
I was paying my tv license by direct debit. I moved out of this place and stopped paying the direct debit. I was then told I must continue paying it or I'd face prosecution.

Any advice?
Thanks.

Re: tv license

Once you move out you dont have to continue paying for a licence for that property. You can get your licence moved with you to a new address and then continue paying it. If where you have moved to has a up to date licence then you shouldn't be made to carry on paying for it.

There already is a tv license in the place I moved to. My wife's!
We got married and I said I'll sort this all out when I came back from honey moon.

I rang the tv license people and they said to write in and explain events.

That doesn't seem to add up?

The place you moved out from was that yours or rented? If it's yours and there is a telly still in the property then you have to keep paying untill someone else moves in and takes over the tv payment.

If it was rented then it's not your problem anymore.

Re: Was payng my tv license by direct debit. Moved out; cancelled dd. Can I be prosec

As far as I know you can only get a tv licence for a period of 12 months. When you opt to pay by monthly installments you have already "bought" your license for the year and are liable to make all the installment payments in full.

title expanded and thread moved from taxation (which is for personal taxation) to Phones, DVDs, TVs, Audio/Visual etc which is where the TV licence (aka TV tax) has been discussed in the past.

aj
mod

Re: Was payng my tv license by direct debit. Moved out; cancelled dd. Can I be prosec

I cancelled my DB when I moved out of a rented apartment. as far as I'm concerned, it's the landlord's property, and his problem. The licence fee is fixed to a location, not a person.