Was it serviced?

KK1

Hi,

I bought a second hand car from a main dealer 6 months ago, after 2 months the clutch went, I know this can happen without warning at any time and the car is 5 years old, then the engine diagnosis light came on and apparently it was a loose wire. A month later it came on again and the lambar sensor need to be cleaned, now I have a warning that it needs an oil change. Apart from the clutch these are all small things, however, it was supposed to have had a service when I bought it so I am very surprised that a car needs an oil change when I have done about 1,000 miles. Does it sound like the car was serviced and is this something I could query with the garage?

Sounds like they didnt do a very good job if they did service it. If you went through a garage i presume you would have got a warranty, even 3 months?

well unless its a bucattii then i would think the oil change should last longer than 1000 mls im guessing its a punto seeing as you havnt mentioned what type of car it is. car may have been services but the service indicator was not reset. take a look at the oil it should still be pretty clean ie like a dark honey color- if its black then take it bak and aske them what oil should look like after 1Kmls - unless its a deisel in which case it would be black already. take a look at the oil filter is should still be clean.

Thanks for the replies, I did have a 6 month warranty but it has just expired. The oil change coming up so quickly made me think they didn't service it. It's a Seat Cordoba, I had a Punto for 8 years that I bought second hand and apart from replacing 4 tyres and a new battery I never had any trouble with it! I'll check the oil filter to see if it looks dirty. I am bringing it to another garage tomorrow for the oil change, so it will be interesting to see if they think it was changed recently or serviced.

Hi KK1, You can have bad luck with any car. I guess the garage is not a main seat dealer? sounds like the service indicator was not reset when the oil was changed or maybe indeed it was not serviced. My sister had a 1.2 16v punto and sold it after 100k miles the only thing that went wrong was the wiper motor! I always tell people to check for a complete service record when buying a used car. and ring the garages to confirm it. that way you can be more or less assured that the mileage is correct too. Bring someone along if you don't know much about cars. It’s simple really no service history Don’t buy!

maybe they did change the oil,, ur just getting the indication now, so does not really mean u need to change it again