Was cutting the Respite Care Grant calculated or just ham-fisted?

michaelm

One could argue the toss about different elements of the budget but immediately the cut to the respite care grand looked out of place, to me anyhow. It seems indefensible.

Given that it saves only €26 million out of a €3.5 billion adjustment I wonder was it intended to take the spotlight off other measures and give the media, twitchy backbenchers and the opposition a bone to chew on . . with the ultimate intention to scrap it before Christmas therefore demonstrating how they listen and are empathetic while doling out a little Christmas hollow victory to all those opposed to it? Could they be that calculating?

That's exactly what my husband and I said to eachother while we were watching the budget announcement on Wednesday. We believe that grant cut was included in the budget to distract from the other cuts and will be removed in the next few days.

Carers are demonstrating in Dublin today and we're positive that it's going to be reversed. Watch this space ....

I'm warming to this conspiracy. If they do the reversal when the "Joe" callers have died down they will be high fiveing themselves.
You can see the contempt that Noonan and Rabbitte have for people. Their threatening stance over the Property Tax is disgraceful. They are too cowardly to do this to the Bondholders though.

http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.ie/

Pressure is mounting according to today's Indo ...

"Tensions are now mounting between Fine Gael and the Labour Party as the coalition partners try to blame each other for one of the Budget's harshest measures – the cut to the respite care grant.

The Government is coming under increasing pressure to reverse that decision but Taoiseach Enda Kenny insisted that the Government would not row back on cuts in the Budget.

Mr Kenny said "none of the choices" had been easy but the Budget had now "gone through". He added: "It is the intention of the Government to carry through the Budget."

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out over the coming week.

Back