Warren Buffett

Bill Cullen heads some charity for children in Ireland as far as I know. Tony Ryan donates money into education also.

What are the chances the Sultan of Brunei or any of the heads of the countries which benefitted from Oil doing this for the poor of their nations or the nations that surround them?

bearishbull said:
wonder will any of Irelands nouveau riche donate such large amounts of their fortunes to good causes.

Not likely its all tied up in property

wont even pay their fair share of tax. but expect ( and get ) headlines stating they are donating so much to good causes , as long as they let us all know of course.

Good point cuchulainn. But they're avoiding tax legally arent they? If everyone could do it, everyone would do it.

redbhoy said:
Bill Cullen heads some charity for children in Ireland as far as I know. Tony Ryan donates money into education also.
I'm sure that many people - rich and not so rich alike - donate to charity anonymously and without fanfare.

cuchulainn said:
wont even pay their fair share of tax. but expect ( and get ) headlines stating they are donating so much to good causes , as long as they let us all know of course.

I would say that the behaviour of some philanthropists who go out of their way to minimise their tax bills while donating significant proportions of their wealth to worthy causes suggests they feel they would spend it more wisely than the government, who knows they may be right after all many of them have proven themselves to be very savvy at generating wealth.

ClubMan said:
I'm sure that many people - rich and not so rich alike - donate to charity anonymously and without fanfare.

Im not congratulating them. I was only mentioning it as per request on first post. Although mybe my two examples wouldnt be classed as Irelands nouveau rich!
But I agree with the last post in saying, they would probably spend their money more wisely than our government on worthwhile ventures!

might be right there especially with regard to humanitarian aid.
The Irish charities who were providing humanitarian aid abroad were complaining that wherever the Irish government gives donations for natural disasters in other parts of the globe they insist on paying it to the corrupt regimes/governments of those countries and more often than not the larger part of the aid never reaches the people who need it.