Warranty with new car - beware.

Megan

My sister bought a 11 months old BMW 316 from a garage but not a main BMW garage. She was given a 2 year guarantee from the garage but was told there was still 1 year BMW warrenty on it. After about a month she was having trouble with opening and closing the window on the passenger side from the control on that door. She went back to the garage who took the car to a BMW garage to have it fix under the warrenty only to be told that the previous onwer wired speakers into the car and damage the controls to the window and thats means the BMW warrenty is no longer valid. Cost €2,200 to repair but lucky for her the garage she bought the car from had to foot the bill. So buyer beware.

Re: Warrenty with new car - beware.

The warranty is with the second garage they sold the car to your sister the way it is "Modified". No way would BMW pay out for this, it's not a manufacture fault that they had. What happened is correct and maybe next time she should go to a Main Dealer to buy her car, I'd doubt the speakers are all the previous owner changed.

Re: Warrenty with new car - beware.

The warranty is with the second garage they sold the car to your sister the way it is "Modified". No way would BMW pay out for this, it's not a manufacture fault that they had. What happened is correct and maybe next time she should go to a Main Dealer to buy her car, I'd doubt the speakers are all the previous owner changed.

Would be interest to know what you mean by " you doubt the speakers are all the previous owner changed". What other things do you think he might have changed?

Previous owner could have changed the head unit. If she's auto there would be a high chance she would be "chiped". Poss different non genuine alloys that may not fit right, increase wear on ball joints and other suspension parts. Could be a lowering kit etc.

Replacing speakers isn't something you would do on it's own, bar they were blown, most people's list would be the last thing you would get to do.

Theres people who tweak their cars and those that don't. Its not always a bad thing, but you should be aware of it, and main dealers tend to steer clear of mods. Some mods make a car better. Upgraded stereo and speakers I would like myself. Once it was done properly.

Back