Warranty just expired - seat belt problem

Daddy

Car just came out of Warranty 1 Feb 2009.

I now have a seat belt that will not shut and the dealer says € 177 to put it right.

Are main dealers in general very strict on the warranty term - in my case 3 weeks and 2 days over.

I have told my dealer that I will be wring to their head office.

Surely, some dealers allow some leeway - in my case 3 weeks and 2 days over the 3 years
warranty.

Your warrenty is over, nothing you can do but fix it yourself. Go to a local garage, not a dealer and get a price from them.

A three year warranty is fairly good.

It's bad luck that the belt broke after that period, but I think you should simply accept that it is bad luck. Your consumer entitlements do not last forever.

Write to head office customer services department, the worst that can happen is that they say no to a contribution to the repair. Put on the compliments head, "wonderful car", "exceptional vale", "highly reliable", "great warranty", "shock horror that this problem arose so close to end of warranty", etc. - you know the kind of BS.

Definitely worth asking. I had a FOC repair to a dodgy horn done (main dealer) on a second hand 6 year old car that was just out of it's one year warranty.

Had an engine block replaced on a Toyota that was nearly a year out of warranty. It was a known fault however which helped the cause.

Thanks everyone.

Smashbox - your reply very much sounded like a dealer who is'nt selling much.

Will write to Customer Relations as suggested.

Nothing to lose.

Ha nope, thats not me. I'm just being realistic. It doesnt really matter if the warrenty is one day or one year out, its finished.

Check honest john etc - if it's a common fault or one which the subject of a previous recall, the head office may look on your request a bit more kindly

Smashbox

You see from other posters - there is hope !

Will revert on this when I hear.

Please do Daddy, I just believe that dealers will make excuses not to have to do the work if necessary, and will want to charge instead. Being realistic thats all! Would love to know the outcome though, please do keep us informed!

JamieB:

Just wondering why this information request.

Can you help with seatbelts ?

Just to fill you in.

Yes the dealer looked after the belt for me after I wrote to the dealer head office.

The car did'nt need a full seat belt replacement just the holder that the belt locks into.

So I was happy in the end.

Back