WARNING - Singapore/Japanese imports

proon

At the weekend I visited a car importers on the hunt for a nice high spec car (unfortunately I guess I can't name the business) Can I do this IQ test? [broken link removed] and see if you can find a random website?

I suppose I can give the location, the importer was just behind the Red Cow and I believe they have another yard down at east wall.

This place sells mostly to the trade, all the cars have no reg plate on them and for someone like me walking in off the street there is no after sales service or warranty etc.

The salesman said he had just got in a lovely clean 01 black Saab 9-3 2.0 automatic leather trim etc if I wanted to have a look. I took it out for a spin, lovely car lovely drive it had 87K kilometers on the clock and had a service history up to 67k. I did my sums and that was about 54k in miles. The price was good as he was looking for 11,750. It was very tempting, I decided to sleep on it.

Today I checked their website the car I took for a spin is there with 79k kilometers which brings the mileage just below the 50k mark. I thought this might be a typo and decided to phone up about it. I was told it had just under 80k on the clock!

While the number of miles knocked off the clock is small it is still illegal. I am very tempted to phone the Gardai, but I don’t have a reg plate to give them, no cars in the yard have a plate so I am sure the importer would just say it was a different car.

As I said, these guys sell to the trade so you just don’t know where these cars will end up. I guess the best thing to do is ask where the car was bought from and if they say near the Red Cow, walk away unless you are willing to take the risk.

How did you get on in the test?

yes mate.Stay well away from Red Cow dodgy dealer..obviously theres a big lup hole in the area of import cars...you can see previous thread regarding clocking etc.

theres one in Rathmine..something auto..beware

basically this illegal practise doesn't necessarily only happen to Jap import..that happen on any imported cars