warning message on cdwow

Carzy

I want to buy a couple of kids DVD's on CDWOW.ie but when "adding to the cart" i get the following warning:

Please ensure that your DVD player is able to play discs designed for
Region 2</SPAN> (UK & Europe/Japan)

Does anyone know what this means? I presume Ireland is covered under Europe...but dont want to purchase if they wont play for me....?

Yes - Ireland is included in Region 2 so you should have no problem with a player bought locally. Make sure by trying out a pre-recorded region 2 DVD in your player in in doubt.

where can I check that a dvd is region 2 compatible
as you can see i'm not very technically minded

where can I check that a dvd is region 2 compatible
as you can see i'm not very technically minded

If your DVD player will play DVDs you rent in a video store or buy in Ireland, then it is Region 2 compatible.

When buying a DVD, it will typically say what region it is, for example, the message on CDWOW says region2, so you are in buisness.

Region incompatibility is typically only an issue when you get DVDs from further afield than europe.

if you bought your dvd player in ireland then this dvd will work on it. if you have any other dvds they should have on the back of the case a '2' in a square which denotes the region (even if they don't, chances are if you bought the dvd here, it's a region 2). i would presume you're buying this dvd off either cdwows hong kong or american site as that warning would not usually appear if you're buying from the irish site.

thanks guys
will be watching toy story over and over for the next year now..!

if u check the back of ur dvd player as well some of them have a small graphic of a globe with the region number in it...

Hi Carzy,

The last time I purchased a DVD on CD-WOW I got the same warning message as you did, but I purchased the DVD anyway and it plays perfectly fine on my DVD player which was got in Ireland.

Also somewhere on CD-WOW it tells you that Region 2 is for Irish DVD player so it will play.

rentals from chartbusters/xtravision always play ok

brand of my machine is a "Scott" -

just remembered one time got a dvd of my son in his creche (a kind of animated thing bit like "pic me" if any of you have young kids!!) that never played on this machine - but will only play on an alba tv/dvd combo upstairs....

never found out why it wouldn't play on the one downstairs!

Please let us know if you were successful in placing your order.

I tried to order CDs and Books off of Play.com and Amazon.co.uk a couple of days ago, and was informed that they no longer ship to the Republic of Ireland.

Went through the selection and payment process but then got an error message saying my card issuer had rejected the request. (my card is nowhere near its limit so shouldn't have been a problem there)

clicked back in again and got a message saying the transaction already completed giving a transaction number..

will let you know what happens...

Please let us know if you were successful in placing your order.

I tried to order CDs and Books off of Play.com and Amazon.co.uk a couple of days ago, and was informed that they no longer ship to the Republic of Ireland.

with play you need to click on the euro sign on the left hand side of the home page and then you should be okay, can't understand why amazon didn't work unless it was something electrical you were buying as the WEEE complicates matters there

I was just trying to buy CDs and Books - nothing electrical (unless CDs are)

Thanks for the update carzy.