warning hand luggage birmingham airport

Red

Just a word or warning for anyone travelling through Birmingham airport with hand luggage. Was over for a business meeting & was coming home with my hand bag,lap top/bag & a carrier bag with sweets.

I wasn't allowed through into departures. I was told 1 bag only - I would have to check it the other items !!

I went around to the airport shops & bought a little shopper bag & put my purchases & hand bag in & tried again thinking I now only have a lap top & a hand bag! She still said no, I still would have to check my luggage in.

Like who is going to check a hand bag or a lap top in and expect it to be still there at the other end ??

Meantime passenger were walking by with huge travel bags that were 3 & 4 times the size of what I holding. For luck, one one my collegaues was with me. He stuffed my lap top & bag into his bag & we both walked through.

What is a person on a business trip with a handbag & lap top to do ?? Run out & buy a suitcase ?? Madness, as around the corner in duty free you can carry/buy as much as you want & bring it on plane

Yes the UK airports are now second only to the Americans in stupidity and lack of common sense! I pass through Heathrow weekly and it never ceases to amaze me the level of stupidity. Recently I had occasion to pass through security with a zippo lighter. I was flatly told that lighters were not allowed on the aircraft and I must check it in the hold! Bear in mind that it was out of fuel and would not even create a spark! Back to check in where there was a huge queue all presumably checking in their dangerous lighters and boxes of matches. Decided against queueing and back to security and went throught the other channel without a problem. Moral of the story; Stay at home and get somebody else to go!

Just a word or warning for anyone travelling through Birmingham airport with hand luggage. Was over for a business meeting & was coming home with my hand bag,lap top/bag & a carrier bag with sweets.

I wasn't allowed through into departures. I was told 1 bag only - I would have to check it the other items !!

I went around to the airport shops & bought a little shopper bag & put my purchases & hand bag in & tried again thinking I now only have a lap top & a hand bag! She still said no, I still would have to check my luggage in.

Like who is going to check a hand bag or a lap top in and expect it to be still there at the other end ??

Meantime passenger were walking by with huge travel bags that were 3 & 4 times the size of what I holding. For luck, one one my collegaues was with me. He stuffed my lap top & bag into his bag & we both walked through.

What is a person on a business trip with a handbag & lap top to do ?? Run out & buy a suitcase ?? Madness, as around the corner in duty free you can carry/buy as much as you want & bring it on plane

not just Birmingham just came through Stanstead last week same thing, I had laptop in hand luggage as it went through there was some problem so it had to be taken out and scanned separate, held everything up.

The rule is the same for all UK airports since last August...non-sensical but rules is rules.

Some airports enforce it more than others.

If it is a ruleat all UK airports why aren't there notices posted to warn passengers ??

A bit off track but
In Heathrow they take the lighter off you before security
In Manchester you can bring through security as long as it is in a plastic bag

All UK airports don't appear to be the same

Back