Wardrobes in small bedroom.

dino

Hi,
I've just bought a small townhouse and I'm having a problem deciding what to do about wardrobes. The room is fairly small and the only real option is to put wardrobes along the wall at the end of the bed. I've checked the B&Q wardrobes and they are all 610mm deep. With these wardrobes the door is 450mm. There is only just enough room to open door at the end of the bed. About 1200mm. Does anyone know if it's possibly to get slightly shallower wardrobes. Anyone got any experience with the Argos built-in wardrobes?
I'm living in Cork, can anyone recommend a supplier & fitter.
Any advice appreciated.

Hello dino,

Just a small point: Because the space is limited between the end of your bed and the wardrobes make sure to get 180 degree hinges fitted to your wardrobe doors so that the doors will open/fold right back, leaving you access space. Not all fitters fit these automatically, they're a tad more expensive, but well worth it.:)

Cheers.

Justsally

Just an idea...could you not get a very small hanging space wardrobe and then presses built up the top of the wall for folding Ect...have seen this done with lights underneath and it looks well and works out cheaper i think,than slidrobes!You can either get the presses yourself or get them made up and fitted. Just a thought.

Thanks for the tips. I have been doing some looking around and lots of measuring. There is a company called Gleneagle who make free standing wardrobes that look good and are fairly shallow. The measurements they give are a perfect fit for the room. Think I might go with these but they will work out fairly expensive. Anyone have any experience with Gleneagle? I'm looking at the Naples and Milan collections.

I'd get built in wardrobes built around the bed you are putting into the room in other words bed in the middle of the largest wall with maybe if space allows two single wardrobes on either side with presses for storage along the top.

Good Luck ;)

get built in wardrobes built around the bed

Have done it in two houses for my son's bedroom and is by far the best arrangement. The rooms were not quite box-rooms though, but I would expect it would work out quite well for a box room also. Getting them in a pale colour, with cream walls except for a dark colour behind the bed is a nice effect also.

Most recent attempt cost 1600-1800 euro fitted which included
* Two door wardrobe on left of bed with double hang
* presses across top of bed and on top right hand corner of same wall
* open shelving down the right side to bed level
* 3 deep drawers on the bottom right
* coving/cornicing etc.

Back