Ward of Court Committee

tmcg

Hi does anyone know if you can make an objection to a proposed ward of court committee member. We are currently in the process of applying for ward of court. My sister has held the process up for 6 months as she has transferred large sums of money from my fathers account without his consent. She wasn't forthcoming with bank account details etc and I had to threaten to take legal action to get her to cooperate at all. I have real issues with her having involvenent in my fathers financial affairs as she is totally untrustworthy. Any help would be appreciated

"We are currently in the process of applying for ward of court. "

Who is "we"?

If you are making the application, why are you including your sister if she is so untrustworthy?

You should talk to your own solicitor.

mf

The we is myself, my sister, family friend and my fathers solicitor. As there is only myself and my sister we both agreed to be put forward for committee with my fathers lifelong friend. Afterward I found out about my sister abusing her position in the bank she works in to transfer money from my fathers account. I have spoken to my fathers solicitor who said he doesn't want to rock the boat and I should just turn a blind eye if she agrees to give the money back. I don't think this is a good thing to do as she can not be trusted.

If you are serious about this, then stand your ground and say no.

A decision will then have to be made: do you stick with the current situation, do the other two go ahead without you, or do you and the friend go ahead without your sister.

I can assure you that the High Court hears this ( and/or variations) on a daily basis and may well take it out of your hands if you don't all agree on a way forward.

mf

The we is myself, my sister, family friend and my fathers solicitor. As there is only myself and my sister we both agreed to be put forward for committee with my fathers lifelong friend. Afterward I found out about my sister abusing her position in the bank she works in to transfer money from my fathers account. I have spoken to my fathers solicitor who said he doesn't want to rock the boat and I should just turn a blind eye if she agrees to give the money back. I don't think this is a good thing to do as she can not be trusted.

Yoiks.......

If Sister Dear reverses her actions legally and voluntarily withdraws from the committee that would be the best result.

Otherwise, her somewhat outrageous actions may well constitute a theft offence and be a matter for the Gardaí.
Much would depend on the ultimate destination of the purloined funds and the reason for their transfer.

Those same actions could also cost her job if there was provable impropriety.

The offer of these thoughts to Sister Dear her would need to be done very discreetly so that she does not accuse you of being the bad guy who is trying to exclude her from family financial matters :rolleyes:

Conceptually, I would consider that Sister Dear has exhibited unfitness by virtue of her actions.
If she has a large element of brass in her neck you will need to be firm and raise an objection to her membership on the ground of unfitness by virtue of moral hazard as established by her actions...

P.S. If it comes to a showdown I suspect that you will have to make a court application to have Sister Dear formally removed.
Your solicitor will know exactly what to do. The advice given by your solicitor is probably wise given that an application to remove Sister Dear will probably incur legal costs......

Back