Wanted : Tall (slim at bottom) but Leafy on Top Plant

Laura

I have a tiny back garden which is overlooked (most especially now that the leaves are coming off the Chestnut Tree in the neighbours garden). I want to plant something out the back fence to conceal my back garden somewhat but I do not want whatever I plant to take up too much space. Whatever I chose therefore needs to be tall (and flush with the fence to about 7") and then leafy (all year round) above that. Tall order I know but would appreciate any recommendations for a plant type that may fill that specification

I remember Diarmuid Gavin planting trees like this in one of the "I want a garden" programs.

Not sure of the names of trees but see link for details.

[broken link removed]

A bay tree might fit the bill.

You could get a row of laurel like that, but it might be quite pricey to get them already so tall. They grow up to 15 feet in the right conditions. They would need clipping, though (from both sides) so that may not be a runner.

Do you have enough room to put a row of tall pots along the back fence? You could then get smaller shrubs that would jut up above the fence.

Thanks all for the suggestions - The PatKenny tree could be the answer

Hi Laura,

Don't mind that lot goin' on about poor Pat You may get some further advice here [broken link removed]