Wanted: Hessian, jute sacks / material

Plek Trum

Hi all,

I am looking to locate old sacks or hessian like material for a drama project. I have found a few places online that I could buy new sacks from but as they will be cut up, I would rather see if I could pick them up used or spare.

If anyone has a few they want to get rid of or knows a few places I could ask, please let me know. It seems garden centres and bakery's dont have them!

Many thanks.

I wanted one last Oct to make a scarecrow costume for my son.. Impossible to come by! Local potatoe growers use double layer thick paper bags now. You could place a free wanted add in www.buyandsell.ie or post a 'Want it now' add in that section of eBay.ie http://pages.ebay.ie/wantitnow/
Some one somewhere has them ..unwanted and unused in a shed. Have you any potato growers in your area? You could ask them.

Hickeys used to sell hessian by the yard for craft work - might be worth checking w. them?

Thanks for posts guys - yes, its proving to be very very tricky! Its one of those things that you always presume would be lying arouind second hand somewhere but when you actually go looking....

Will check out all suggestions and fingers crossed. In the meantime if anyone fancies raiding a few allotment sheds please let me know!

You can also buy it in the blarney wollen mills beside the ha'penny bridge, i got some last year for a scarecrow costume, not very expensive.

You could also check with scout groups, we used to use those kinds of sacks a few years ago for camping gear in our local scouts.

Oh the joys of living in the South of Ireland.. (!) Many thanks all, I am in Dublin quite soon so will check all the above - thanks as ever, fingers crossed.

I was in petmania yesterday to buy bird nuts..
Didn't have any in shop so they went to store room to get a new bag
(They fill up huge tubs so you help yourself)
Guess what the nuts are supplied in?
Hessian sacks!!
If you have a petmania store local, ask for some, they're happy to give them away.
If not, PM me and I'll get some for you.