Want to Travel to South America for over 30

IrishGunner

Ok maybe over the hill at 30 but looking to travel to South America on my own but want to go maybe on a group tour as dont want the hassle of going solo

Are there any good websites for booking tours for those over 30 so the group I travel with are the same age. ?

www.gapadventures.com
www.intrepidtravel.com
www.explore.co.uk
www.onthegotours.com
www.exodus.co.uk

I have gone on tours with all of the above except Exodus (so I can't comment on them). They are all really good tour companies.

For a 30+ year old, I would recommend Gap or Intrepid. Explore is really geared towards an older age group and On The Go is really more for people in their 20s; having said that, there is no problem joining their tours but you may feel a little old/young (I know as I was 32 when I went on their tours)

Gap & Intrepid are both excellent and do a range of great trips to South America; I was in Peru with Gap a few years ago and I went away singing their praises. There are a couple of potential downsides. The first is that you have to book your own flights seperately and that could cost more while Exodus & Explore offer optional flights (however I have seen instances where you could get your own flights cheaper). The other downside is that the standard of accommodation is lower than Exodus/Explore but it is still clean and facilities are of a reasonable standard but don't expect luxury but you certainly are not likely to wake up with cockroaches or anything crawling over the bed either; it all depends on your standards but personally I think it is all part of the cultural experience). Gap & Intrepid do offer "Comfort" tours which have more higher standards but you pay a lot more for it (also have "Basic" tours which is lower standard at a lower cost).

The other advantage with going with Gap or Intrepid is that they keep their groups small (usually 12 maximum), whereas the On The Go tour I went on had 38 people which was crazy and Explore had 23 people. It makes a hell of a difference as you get to know your fellow travellers really well.

In my opinion, a group tour is ideal if you are going solo particularly if you are short on time (as I always am due to work etc). In the past, I always was booking my own trips and itinerarys etc which is grand if you are off to tour USA, Canada etc but it is a lot more difficult if you are travelling to somewhere like South America or Asia and you only have a couple of weeks. For example I was in Vietnam a few months ago with Intrepid and out of interest, priced up the itinerary to see what it would cost to go under my own steam and I would have only saved about 10%. So the extra bit of cash would ensure a hassle free trip (you just turn up and let the Group Leader take it from there) and also it is a great way to meet fellow travellers particularly if you are going solo

Thanks

The gap adventure looks good and was looking at a lot of overnight bus journeys but suppose thats how you see the country

Did you book the flights yourself or through a travel agent as its about €1k to fly to Buenos Aires and back home from Santiago via Atlanta with Delta

I've travelled with Intrepid & can recommend them - had a great time. I've come across a couple of GAP groups while travelling in S America. It seems there's a lot of Americans in their groups, which to me would be a little off-putting, but others mightn't mind that...

For flights, your best bet is to search using sidestep.com - it trawls all the other search engines and I've always found it to be good value. If you're prepared to take a chance. you can set an alert to keep searching daily/weekly which can save you a fortune (or cost a packet!) if fares change.

No issue with travelling with Americans. May give Intrepid a call theirs seem to all fly from London. With Gap you make your own way there and meet the group in the hotel, no issue with this

Still looking at what to do re flights and also limited to what holidays work will give

Booked the trip with Gap. Have a day on my own in Buenos Aires and a 12 hour layover on way back in Atlanta. So any tips ie what to bring money clothing etc. Most of the trips will be done with the group so first holiday in a while I dont have to organise accomodation tours etc

If possible, can I give you a little warning about Chile - Valparaiso is a stinking resort with very few redeeming features, and Santiago is dangerous (I was mugged there despite the fact that my fairly large-sized Irish hubby was beside me!) - so if you're thinking of going to Chile, maybe watch out for those places. Buenos Aires is fabulous - try get somewhere near Recolleta (wonderful graveyard - Eva Peron and some Irish names!). Ria de Janiero is a kip - loads of homeless people, dirt and filth around the main streets. So, unless you've booked into 4 or 5 star hotels, be prepared for lotsa shocks in the main cities. I'ms sure it's wonderful outside of these

Details of the trip are . Not going to Valparaiso but there is an option to travel there on a day trip. Travelling with group and have travelled all over the world and the best thing is just common sense. I have been to a few dodgy areas from Latvia to LA. Not getting to Rio just Argentina and Chile. Now have to pack light as dont think it would be sensible to bring a suitcase maybe dust down the old back pack. Seems to be that $50 a day should cover me and going to bring Dollars and ATM card. Just have to find that backpack

Do as they suggest and arrive a few days earlier in Buenos Aires. It's a beautiful city and you need a few days to see all the sights. You can also take the ferry across to Uruguay which is quite interesting.
The film The Motorcycle Diaries (tales of the young Che Guevarra) takes a pretty similar route if you want to give yourself a quick preview of the areas.
Valparaiso is somewhat grotty but authentic as it is still a major port. Vina del Mar is much prettier if that's an option.
Enjoy, it sounds like a great trip.