Want to start investing in stock market and advice needed.

Peterb11

Hi everyone,

Want to start by investing a couple of hundred in something in the stock market.
What is everyone's views on the likes of IGindex and CMC ?

Should I go to a traditional broker? Would I not need thousands to go to a traditional broker? Can I set up online through a broker and also, which is the cheapest option for starting out?

Much appreciated :)

There have been several threads about cheap brokers so I would suggest doing a search. If you only have a few hundred to invest then I don't think you should be buying shares as the transaction costs will make up a huge percentage that would have to be recouped by capital gains.
If you don't know what you are doing when it comes to selecting shares then you should also not try picking stocks but rather stick to cheap tracker funds. Just because buying and selling of shares is easily done by the click of a button does not mean that it is easy to select the right investments.

Q - How to make a small fortune in the stock market
A- Start off with a large fortune.

I think it was Warren Buffet who defined spread betting as a quick way for an honest man to go broke. Bear in mind that with spread betting that you losses as well as your gains can be unlimited. If you own a share in a PLC at least you own a piece of the business if you go spread betting at least you own nothing as such just a promise.

Can I ask you why you wish to go down the spread betting route?

Back