Want to move from Dublin - suggestions

Northerngirl

Im a single female mid-30's, planning on moving out of Dublin, and want to live somewhere safe, picturesque, friendly, quiet but with a bit of a social life - Any suggestions to where I should start?

Please dont use LLL as a general discussion forum. If you need info on specific areas then either search fro previous threads for that area or start a new specific area thread.

Im a single female mid-30's, planning on moving out of Dublin, and want to live somewhere safe, picturesque, friendly, quiet but with a bit of a social life - Any suggestions to where I should start?

If you are planning to commute to Dublin, this thread may be of interest.

And if you are willing to commute, you should state how long you are willing to spend travelling and your preferred means of transport (car, rail, bus).

Well as you are in Dublin I'd say your journey will have to start there!

Im wanting to move to the County Louth area, not sure about Dundalk, Whats nightlife like there??

dundalk and drogheda both came out tops in the recent sunday times report on commuter towns. both had idential scores but naturally differed in places ie drogheda got a 5 out of 5 for travelling, dundalk got a 3 as its 20 mins futher by motorway or train. ( the bus fare by road is the same though €10 return or €40 for the week as its a dundalk company and while they do include drogheda on the journey, they also have direct services to dublin at peak times. about 22 departures in both directions daily ) dundalk scored higher on cheaper housing and easier schooling and both got 5 our of 5 for having in excess of 5 large supermarkets. you pays your money and you takes your pick, as popeye says
(dundalk isn't cheap for housing, just cheaper than drogheda). dont think they included the night life but for what its worth dundalk has more pubs/bars, drogheda is more hilly but probably more compact, dundalk has a dog track,( shortly an all weather horse track) and will have the first purpose built ice dome ( december) in the country. both have 3 /4 swimming pools and both have tennis clubs. both have bowling alleys, both have multiplex cinemas, both have plenty of hotels ( crown plaza opening in dundalk next april) both have 3/4 night clubs. more dubs living in drogheda more norn iron living in dundalk. walking the streets of both towns on shopping days drogheda would have more buzz and the boyne is a great amenity. both have seaside towns nearby laytown/bettystown in drogheda's case and blackrock in dundalk's dundalk has the cooley ( carlingford ) peninsula and drogheda has the boyne valley. drogheda has many more train services.
cheers

Thanks so much for all that info Cuchulainn. Ive applied for health service jobs in Louth and Meath and will just wait and see. I think maybe Dundalk has swung it for me, from what you say theres plenty going on...Hoping the move outa Dublin will give me an all round better quality of life!

Have you considered kilkenny??great Night life,house prices still managable near city,everything you could find in Dublin but on a smaller scale..deew

kilkenny is brilliant ok. asaik the HSE headquarters for the north east is in Kells.

Thanks Deew for info on KK, but as Im a Northern gal I kinda want to head in that direction. Just looking out for jobs now...