Want to buy €50k-worth of shares directly; Revolut, TradeRepublic or neither?

LLB123

I want to put €50k into shares, likely a mix of 5 different companies including Berkshire as a kind of proxy ETF since I don't have the time nor inclination for the deemed disposal palaver.
I already have a Revolut account which seems very user friendly for buying and selling shares, but would it be considered a reasonably safe platform in which to hold them over a short-to-medium term horizon, say 5yrs?
Seen Trade Republic mentioned here which I'd imagine is a similar setup but one I am not personally familiar with. Have a DeGiro account too but find the interface quite confusing.

Or is there another 'safer' way to do this that I'm missing. Not especially interested in Davy or the likes, as I want to be able to keep an eye on the portfolio while on the go.
Any other recommendations greatly appreciated, thank you.

Revolut has higher fees. Degiro gets easy to use after a while. It will be cheaper than Degiro. What ever you use, get your referral bonus if you can.
Davy are not cheap but do have an easy to use interface.

The safest way is paper certs but its prob impossible at this stage to do so.

Paper is safest, but also the most awkward if trying to sell, as broker must be in possession of cert before they will sell! If you need to post the cert, then you have to use registered post and the price on date of receipt in brokers office could be different to the price on date of posting. The price you will receive is the price on selling date! Nominee account is faster when selling, not as safe, but if you are suspicious of everything, what's the purpose of living!

Surely DeGiro fees are very low?

Isn't it 3.00 per transaction?

And 2.50 per year per foreign stock exchange.

Paper is safest, but also the most awkward if trying to sell, as broker must be in possession of cert before they will sell! If you need to post the cert, then you have to use registered post and the price on date of receipt in brokers office could be different to the price on date of posting. The price you will receive is the price on selling date! Nominee account is faster when selling, not as safe, but if you are suspicious of everything, what's the purpose of living!
Definitely don't want paper, online ideally the way to go for me. I don't mean absolute safety just more in terms of ease of use balanced with the risk of the platform going AWOL or somesuch.

Revolut has higher fees. Degiro gets easy to use after a while. It will be cheaper than Degiro. What ever you use, get your referral bonus if you can.

Is it that Revolut is cheaper than Degiro even with fees?

Been using DeGiro for years, no complaints.

I'd probably spend more time trying to figure out the interface if you didn't absolutely have to buy in euros (unless I'm mistaken), whereas Revolut's currency options means I don't have to balance currency fluctuations too.

Is it that Revolut is cheaper than Degiro even with fees?

I think that was a mistype. Degiro are cheaper.

There's also Interactive Brokers, which has the advantage of having an Irish subsidiary, regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland, so you don't have the problem discussed in another thread (about Degiro) of trying to deal with foreign regulators if something goes wrong. When currency conversion is included, it might also be quite a bit cheaper than some of the other options for that amount of money. If you find the Degiro interface confusing then you probably won't like the Interactive Brokers one, though.

There's also Interactive Brokers, which has the advantage of having an Irish subsidiary, regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland, so you don't have the problem discussed in another thread (about Degiro) of trying to deal with foreign regulators if something goes wrong. When currency conversion is included, it might also be quite a bit cheaper than some of the other options for that amount of money. If you find the Degiro interface confusing then you probably won't like the Interactive Brokers one, though.
+1
Get a referral from a friend or randomer online and you get 1% IBKR shares as a bonus too (up to 1k USD).

Back