Wallpapering furniture

simp

So we went and did the Ikea thing last weekend. Glasgow. Madness. Great value.

Happy with everything except the finish on the bedframe. Nice shape but unfortunate oak veneer. Wanted to go for white but got overruled by simpette. Details of the item [broken link removed].

So... Had the bright idea of wallpapering the frame. Does anyone have any experience of doing this type of thing? Googling "wallpapering veneer furniture" doesn't throw up much ;)

Could we apply wallpaper directly to the veneer? Would we need to varnish on top of the wallpaper?

If we can't do the wallpaper thing, then we'll paint it. Would [broken link removed] Dulux cupboard paint do the job? Or would we need to sand, apply oil-based primer, re-sand and apply a couple of coats of paint?

Your suggestions, as ever, are much appreciated.

Try Googling a combination of 'decoupage' and 'furniture' (with 'veneer' thrown in for good measure) instead of wallpapering - you might have more luck.

Thanks Eeek!!!! That's the sort of thing I was thinking of.

See, ClubMan? I hadn't taken leave of my senses. There's even a word for it.

Hello Simp, Still recovering from disapointment about lack of choice of Bamboo floors! I'd say go with Simpette on this one!

Hi Deirdra - It's just that Oak veneer looks so like veneer... Anyhow, we'll experiment with it and see how it goes...

(We're going with the B&Q solid bamboo flooring, by the way... Our builder has given his grudging approval... Will let you know how we get on with it.)

Back