Wall mounting & Wiring a Flat Screen TV

MG01

Any advice on how to go about wiring up and mounting a flat screen tv above the fireplace.

Here's the situation - wall plug and aerial are located a small distance away to one side of the chimney breast.

Do I just need to get a wall bracket and then chase a conduit into the chimney and up to the tv and run an extended power cable and tv aerial / dvd cable from the wall sockets to the tv and re-plaster over the chase?

If I want to get digital / HD tv do I need to provide for any other cables.

Is this the sort of job I could do myself - or would I really have to get an electrician to do it (I'm reasonably handy - just don't have much of a clue about wiring this thing up).

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

MG01

MG01,
I recently installed a 42" on a wall bracket but didn't end up having to chase the wall. I was all ready to do it with my angle grinder though. I wouldn't imagine that there is anything too difficult to do that you would need an electrician The most you could possibly need is 2 scarts and one power. However, make sure to leave some rope/fireproof string so that you can easily replace scarts when you need to.

Is an angle grinder the best way to do things - as in better than an 'aul hammer and chisel?

The other thing I was slightly worried about was the thoughts of going at the chimney breast incase I broke through the wall or anything or cracked it and lastly - any ideas on damage from heat if the fireplace is still in use?

Thanks for all the advice.

Back