Wall insulation

foxy

We are about to build a small room in part of the garage opening via a new door into the kitchen. The builder (small independant guy) has suggested the walls between the room and the garage should be partition walls with the two sides of standard plaster board and standard glass wool insulation between them. They will stretch from concrete floor to concrete ceiling and will have a door in one of the walls into the garage.

I'm a bit unsure if that will give us the insulation we need. These are sort of halfway between internal and external walls. I would have thought they will need some sort of vapour layer as well.

Any suggestions welcome.

I'd me more concerned about fire safety in this case. My understanding is that you are sub-dividing the "garage" to give you additional living space whilst retaining a smaller garage/ storage space. You should have a half hour fire resisting partition between the "garage" and the new habitable space as the "garage" or store could contain flamable substances or hazardous appliances (heating appliance, lawnmower etc) which pose a special fire risk. To achieve such a fire rating the stud partition should be sheeted both sides with 12.5mm Gyproc "Fireline" board,; the inclusion of insulation will improve the fire resistance also. The would be no real need to include a vapour barrier but if desired the plasterboard on the warm side of the partition (the habitable space) could be a Fireline Duplex (foil backed) board to minimise the risk of interstitial condensation.

Just noticed you want to include a door opening into the garage/ store also- this must be a FD30 fire door.

= interstitial condensation.

Now thats not something you hear everyday...

....thought that was something made up to scare young built environment students????

M

Carpenter said:
interstitial condensation.

Where water vapour passes through an insulation material or built up construction and reaches dew point, forming condensation within the material- this is referred to as interstitial condensation, have I remembered correctly?

bang on....

to calculate you draw a graph of vapour resistivity and thickness of materials vs humidity or something....

..could do one about 6 years ago (to pass an exam)......

what sort of costs are you getting back from builders ? i am doing a similar conversion and have been getting various ranges back from 18k to 30k !

Nothing like that. I've got some Polish guys who are charging less than 2k. I provide all materials and a sparks to connect the electrics.

Irish builders weren't interested.