Wall Insulation - Thermal Bridging

tufty1

Hi there folks,
Our house is all mass concrete walls with no insulation at all! We're about to strip all the very old wall paper off the walls and replace with paint. But I was thinking this would be the perfect time to internally dry line the external walls of the house.

Now not being an expert, my understanding is that the insulated plasterboard panels will be fixed directly to battens which are in turn fixed to the walls. Obviously radiators and sockets, etc will have to be repositioned.

However, my concern is thermal bridging to the internal walls. Can I just dry line the external wall to where it meets the internal wall or do I have to dry line the internal wall as well to prevent thermal bridging? And if so, for how far away from the external wall?

Hope my query is clear but i think this might be an issue. Thanks.

if you do specify the internal insulation using insulated plasterboard make sure you're aware of the complications with fitting skirting, sockets, window boards etc. due to the extra depth

SSE

in this case i would look at the possibility of using the new 'Tri-iso super10' product thats out there.... i have no connection with this product...

as far as i know it hasent been agrement certed yet (and normaly i would not recommend this situation.. but..)...

http://www.uvalue.ie/index.php?categoryid=15
[broken link removed]

AFAIK its not cheap, but it may be the answer to your problems... minimal interal space lost, possibly even negating the need to alter rads.... suitable for jamb, head and threshold details....

I have not used this product personally, nor do i know anyone who has... but therotically it may suit this situation....

Be careful - I've come across a lot of negative feedback regarding it online while researching renovation and insulation of my period property - here's a great site:

[broken link removed]

put in Tri-Iso Super 10 as a search term and see what comes up.

That site will give you plenty of info on the insulation variables too.
B

Back