Walk in wardrobes - should they have backing?

NOAH

Just getting a walk in wardrobe fitted and as I work I am not on sight but saw work yesterday and noticed all the cupboards have no backs?? It is fitted to bare wall and one side is an outside wall. Hanging space no backs either/??

What is the norm? If I was doing it myself Iwould instinctively put on backs but I am wrecked so cant do anything that involves lifting/straining.

noah

TO BE BLUNT, IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR WILLING TO SPEND.... (sorry bout the caps)

For most people walk-in wards are simply an alcove with a door.... however there are dedicated companies out there who provide a full fit service...

Thank you for quick reply, I do BLUNT fine, its just that when I made the request told him what I wanted . shelves, hanging space, drawers, height, dimensions, layout, colur, type of wood or that board they use, I think its chipboard with a shiny surface and FORGOT TO mention the bit about backs, that would be hardboard, and assumed etc etc. I'll never learn. It did not cost the earth and looks OK.

noah

Hi Noah,
If I was getting built in bookshelves I would not expect backs on them, (it's often nice to paint the back wall a contrasting colour for that library look) and likewise if I was getting a walk in wardrobe I wouldn't expect backs.

thanks for reply, the reason I asked is that the wall is not that straight so there is a slight gap where shelves are, it may be ok when full of clothes. The intrestng thing is when I mentioned it to the chippy this evening he went ape .....t, and made a few hurtful remarks eg if you wanted backs go elsewhere and pay 2200 euro. I am paying him 1200 including fitting. He then nailed me when he said I'll take them back out OK but wont re-fit, I'll keep them for myself!!! I only asked politely if he inteneded to fit backs!

I think he has got the cheapest type of board and is charging the price of the stuff we saw in showrooms but I wanted beech which was exactly what we saw but he convinced my other half to go for white with an oak edging.

Can I insist he shows me the receipt for the materials as I think they were dirt cheap?and i mean dirt.

This is the same guy who has stretched out the fittting of 12 doors, architrave, locks, handles, skirting, 2 wooden floors, made me buy loads of pink plus, hinges, nails, rolls of plastic, accousic rolls, and has been at it since June 2007. He would turn up some days for 15 mins. He is on a fixed price but to take so long is doin g my head in. Whats the point? I was advised not to get a finish date as it may mean he would rush. It has been total agony but I am banned from saying anything in case he leaves!! He now says he will be out by wednesday!! Still has lots of skirting and door architrave to complete.

help

NOAH

Back