Walk in wardrobe or ensuite toilet?

Green

Thinking of converting the main bedroom ensuite into a walk in wardrobe...Has anybody any thoughts on how this might increase or decrease value? Anybody had it done ? Thanks for any thoughts or info?

No expert, but while both would be desirable I would guess that an en-suite would would be the preferred option for potential buyers - and much more likely to increase value than a walk-in.

Inclined to agree with caveat, an en-suite will deffo hold the value, not everyone expects a WIW but almost everyone expects the main bedroom to have an en-suite these days

I have to agree with the other posts - ensuite would be expected as standard these days

Agree with previous posts, ensuite is considered as standard nowadays and would make it harder to sell without. Maybe you could get your walk in wardrobe by knocking a wall into another bedroom and taking some space from there. Or just use a spare room, if you have one, as a wardrobe.

Def en-suite. You could make a bad mistake with a WIW during the night!

Ensuite probably adds on 'value', but are you going to be selling and when? If not, and you want a wIW, go for it. We are adding a room next to our bedroom and knocking a WIW through and everyone asks why we don't want an ensuite. We just don't. I don't want another toilet to clean thank you. I also know a few people who want to turn their ensuite into a wiw or a study/box room. So I would concentrate on what you want rather than what adds value.

I would agree with pernickety. We had an ensuite and main bathroom, both of which were too small. So we knocked them into one and it was a great decision. We got what we wanted.

I'm not sure if it has devalued the house as we put alot of money into a hi spec well finished main bathroom. It depends on the house but unless its rented accomodation a decent bathroom upstairs and one downstairs are enough in my opinion.

If you don't have a view to selling the house in the next 3-5 years then put in what you want.

I would also agree with previous posters. I myself recently had my box bedroom converted into big walk in wardrobe. I am truly a "Happy Girl" now. I don't know if you have the spare room option there. Most people told me I was mad that if I ever wanted to sell I was only selling a 3-bedroomed house. But sure its only a matter of whipping the wardrobes out if I ever decided to sell.