Waldorf Astoria or Casablanca in New York

Bean deas

Just wondering if any of you have any have stayed in any of these two hotels. Briniging my husband to NYC in Feb- we both like hotels with a bit of character, nothing too modern. Someone said that those two hotels were excellent and just thought I'd get your opinions. Any feedback welcome.

The Waldorf is nice with the Bull and Bear restaurant at the back, but it's not cheap!

Just got a rate on the net 217 euro per night at the Waldorf - executive room 250 sq feet. Sounds good especially for New York. Am i right...?

What time of the year is that for? - It certainly sounds like a fairly good deal alright - NY Hotel prices are generally very high and it's hard to find decent places for under $300 at some times of the year

Never heard of the Casablanca Hotel before - it wouldn't be very well known I wouldn't have thought

It's for Feb 2008 - not the busiest time I know but just looking at the price of other hotels (smaller rooms) it seems a good price. Also just found out it has been recently renovated. Food supposed to be v. expensive - so we probably will eat elsewhere most of the time.

Assuming it's not a pre-pay rate (if it is I certainly wouldn't pay now for a stay in 6+ months time!) and provided the cancellation penalties are minimal (or better still non existent) what have you got to lose .. seems a good rate to me and if something better crops up closer to the time then you can swap it.

Just got a rate on the net 217 euro per night at the Waldorf - executive room 250 sq feet. Sounds good especially for New York. Am i right...?

It sounds very good but you should try the Waldorf website as well for prices - you can reserve the room there with no cancellation fees until the day before you are due to take the room.

Me and the wife are going to stay in waldorf for 4 nites in november and can't wait. Went to NY last year on hols and popped in for a drink to the bar in the W/Ast. and vowed to go back there to stay.

Anyone know what NY is like the week of Thanksgiving - is it quieter or busier than normal?

I havent been then myself but have friends who have and said its crazy busy especially with all the sales, also a lot of places close on thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving week in New York is crazy but great fun. It’s a bigger holiday than Christmas as everybody celebrates this holiday and a lot of people have 2 days off work. All the shops are closed on Thanksgiving Day, but most restaurants, bars etc are open. The eve of Thanksgiving is a big night out. They blow up the floats for the parade on the upper west side of Central Park, so there is a great buzz around that area, and all the pubs etc will be busy. There are huge amounts of people in the city for the parade and the sales which start the day after Thanksgiving which start at 6.00am with great fanfare.

I was there the week Thanks Giving started last year and it was amazing. The place was buzzing. Having lived in NYC during the January - June period before I was amazed at how different it was. Simply magical and well worth going during that period. Hope you have a fantastic trip.

I'm sure it will be great. Looking forward to getting into the taxi at newark and saying "Take me to the Waldorf Astoria please!".

I almost booked our accommodation stay there through Trailfinders in Dublin who were charging c.€400 a night- I thought it was the going rate for a good NY hotel until we found the W/A website. I would have been gutted to have spent all that extra money by going through a travel agent.

The Waldorf is the business! Myself and the good lady were there last February for a long weekend. The foyer of the hotel is superb and they had a flower arangement there that was bigger than some of the rooms in our house! Make sure and push for an upgrade to the best room possible when you check-in. The staff are really friendly and the concierge service is brilliant - they'll help you out with reservations for restaurants/ shows and helped us find an Irish bar that was showing the Ireland V England 6 nations rugby (which was brilliant cause Ireland won and we got a chance to give some English fans who were there a good slagging).

I'd say that rate you got was room only but you should have breakfast in the hotel at least once during your stay- it's expensive but first class. A good alternative for breakfast is a diner which is located down a side street beside the hotel (if you go out the back entrance of the hotel and turn left, walk 100 yards to the juction and cross the street the diner is on the left). It has good breakfast at a fraction of the cost.

A word of warning for going in February- wrap up warm as it was below zero for all the time we were there. Enjoy!

+A word of warning for going in February- wrap up warm as it was below zero for all the time we were there. Enjoy![/quote]

We have been 4 times in Feb and have always been lucky with the weather, that said this year was the coldest time we had been, but we did manage to miss the snow storm.