Waiting time for Driving Test (Cork)

Westie123

Hi,

Having failed his first driving test last August, my son immediately reapplied for his second driving test. He has heard nothing yet about a date for it. The test centre is on Sarsfield's Road, Cork. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this amount of delay? My worry is that the test appointment may have got lost in the post!

Thanks.

As of the end of last year there was an average of 33 weeks waiting for Cork.

Seems he would be due around now.

Drop them a mail or pick up the phone, they are quite good with keeping you informed.

Tel. +353 96 24200; Fax: +353 96 24400; LoCall (from within Ireland) 1890 40 60 40; (For a LoCall 1890 number, the caller is charged at local rates for the full duration of the call.) e-mail: DrivingTest@Transport.ie

Have you checked out the waiting times [broken link removed]. Last updated on November though but may give you an idea. As bluetonic stated above the quickest way to find out is to ring and ask them - thats what I had to do and they gave me a date over the phone and I had the confirmation in the post soon after.

As an aside, do people know the best ways to get a test quickly. I have heard stories of letters from employers etc etc

I am very against driving on a provisional license without an accompanying licensed driver but having a licensed driver with me is not sustainanble for a year so I would like to focus on lots of lessons and doing a test soon.

Any experiences people have had would be appreciated.

Simple.

You don't need a letter from anyone.

Ring up the main office in Ballina, number is on your letter and tell them that you are after being offered a new job that is dependant on having a full licence and need your test asap. You will be tested within 2 weeks. Guaranteed.

I've done this twice and no bother each time apart from failing it the first time!!

This is the only advice you need so lock this thread now before you start getting rubbish from other people about "my friend told me that if you eat a duck while pregnant from a donkey they will do the test earlier etc.......... Nonsense.

Ring 'em up.

I am very against driving on a provisional license without an accompanying licensed driver but having a licensed driver with me is not sustainanble for a year so I would like to focus on lots of lessons and doing a test soon.

Very noble indeed. May I ask why though? Do you think you'll suddenly become a better driver once you get that cert?
You'd be joining a club of 400,000 so you're not exactly doing something unusual

no, however the process of being focused on a test date will lead to an increased urgency in becoming a better driver.

I will be more inclined to do more lessons at the beginning of my learning process rather than waiting until close to a test that is a year away.

Also it would allow me on the the M50 sooner and that is really exciting !!

Also it would allow me on the the M50 sooner and that is really exciting !!

Do you really think that everyone on the M50 is a fully licensed driver?

If they are then we are in serious trouble as 80% of them haven't got a clue how to drive on a motorway and seem to think the outside overtaking lane is in actual fact a cruising lane!!

All Irish people should be made drive on the continents motorways so they could learn what an overtaking lane is actually for.

Do you really think that everyone on the M50 is a fully licensed driver?

If they are then we are in serious trouble as 80% of them haven't got a clue how to drive on a motorway and seem to think the outside overtaking lane is in actual fact a cruising lane!!

All Irish people should be made drive on the continents motorways so they could learn what an overtaking lane is actually for.

Do you suggest having people overtake on the left?

Unfortunately because of the amount of muppets on the Irish roads thats exactly what you end up doing here anyway.

But you knew what I meant anyway but were being pedantic?

driving test soon any tips

i got my car in feb this year and am only driving it the last 3 weeks on my own. now my test is 4 weeks and am very nervous anyone any tips that could help me also the test is in citywest did anyone take their test there?

Back