Waiting List Nursing Homes/ Fair Deal

irishmoss

I was just wondering if you can put a persons name down for a Public nursing home?

Also I know there are nursing homes operating under the fair deal sceme. Are these private or public?

Thirdly when assessed for income and savings what hapens down the road when savings are eaten up? Are you reassessed each year?

Savings and nursing homes

We are paying cash to a carer taken from my mothers savings. She has dementia

When it comes to being assessed for income & savings down the road for the Fair Deal Scheme will we need receipts to show where the money went.

She will still have substantial savings , circa 70K left. We have put 10k into a seperate fund for her care at the present and it is from this we pay the carer, household bills, clothing etc etc.

Will we have to account for everything when the time comes she needs to go to a nursing home whic will be in the next year or so ? Should we be keeping receipts?

I merged the two threads since they seem to be about aspects of the same issue. Hope that's OK?

I am posting a link to homeinstead - you will find helpful info there- you might be better to engage a carer through an organisation like them as you will benefit from tax relief, I know that's not the most important consideration but might be something to think about long term. I have no affiliation to this organisation but they have earned a very good reputation. Hope this helps.

[broken link removed]

Do you have a HSE Social Worker on this case that you can discuss these queries with?

Is there any info of use here in case you have not seen these links already?

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Also - would your local Public Health Nurse be able to assist maybe?

Thanks Clubman for merging the posts and links

We originally went with one of the organizations similar to Homeinstead. We were not satisfied with the care they gave. We have a super person now caring for my mum who is kind and reliable and recommended to us by altheimzers association. I don't care about the income tax relief, just wondering do we have to account for all money spent in the previous 5 years before applying for nursing home subvention.

BTW she is getting no help from the HSE even though from reading the links you would think so. She gets one day a week in Day care centre. She is living alone with no family support beside her as we all live 50 miles away.

We did speak to her health nurse but were just given the number for private organizations providinng home care, that was a year ago but she is a lot worse now.

She has a medical card

Do you have a HSE Social Worker on this case that you can discuss these queries with?

No we have never spoken to a HSE social worker just the senior public health nurse for her area, this wasn't recommended by her.

How do we go about that? Thanks

It's seems to me if you have a physical problem you will get help but those with dementia and altzeimers are left to fend for themselves.

Wondering what is the current position regarding applications for the Fair Deal scheme. I recall media reports that the funds had run out for this year. Does the area in which you reside have a bearing on the fate of your application.

I've posted in an other thread an update. The Fair Deal Scheme is unoficially suspended. It doesn't matter what area you live in.

You can make an application but nothing will be done with it, they are sitting on the apllications waiting on the budget.

I'm worried the scheme will be scrapped. It was based on the property boom so it is doomed to fail.

If it goes and we revert to the old scheme / subvention anyone who owns a house with a medical card won't get a bed in a private or public hospital as their assets are more than 36k

We also paid for our fathers care with cash payments from his account. He does not suffer from dimensia but is still unable to deal with day to day issues. The HSE did request receipts for all cash spend and appeared to think that we were willfully spending his money. We argued that he was entitled to spend his money anyway he liked as he was unaware that the situation of him going into a home would arise. They accepted our argument in the end but the bottom line is that they do expect receipts for all moneys spend.

No we have never spoken to a HSE social worker just the senior public health nurse for her area, this wasn't recommended by her.

How do we go about that? Thanks

Not sure, to be honest. Try ringing your local HSE health centre for a start, or maybe the Alzheimers Society could point you in the right direction.

Get your local TD to ask a parliamentary question about this, so you can see what is actually going on here.