waiting for Smart telecom

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Just finishing free broadband trial with Esat in 3 weeks, I have alreay signed up with smart telecom for their new broadband they say June/July but probaly later, but in the mean time is there a broadband thta I can do until Smart BB starts, which has no 12 month contract and does not have a connection fee, or any other ideas or do I just go back to slow motion dial up , cheers

Why not sign up for one of the 2-3 month free trial packages with one of the other broadband providers (e.g. UTV Clicksilver, eircom, BT Ireland) to tide you over while waiting on Smart and then cancel the trial and return the equipment when they are read or when your trial end date nears, whichever is sooner? Most, if not all, non trial broadband packages involved an installation charge and a minimum 12 month contract unless you can negotiate other conditions. We negotiated a short (3 month) contract with Irish Broadband in work but I dount that they or others would be so flexible for home users.

Re: Has anyone had two free Broadband trials??

I'm also coming to end of a free Eircom broadband trial and wondering if it would be wrong to apply to Utv for a free trial with them. Utv's T & Cs state:

This offer is only available to you if your phone line is not currently, and has never been, enabled with a broadband service (ADSL/DSL).
Has anyone availed of two free trials from different providers? Reading ClubMan's reply to Unregistered, I'm wondering what he or others think about this. If I deny to Utv that I had a trial with Eircom, I'd be in breach of Utv Ts &Cs. Would Utv/Eircom find out?

If Eircom offered the same rate as Utv this wouldn't be an issue. So much for competition. Incidentally Eircom have reduced the contract period from 12 to 6 months.

Thanks for the info about the reduced contract period from eircom. I might be mistaken but do BT Ireland have no fixed contract period?

I've heard anecdotal reports about people managing to avail of more than one free broadband trial regardless of the condition on most or all such trials that it be a first time ADSL connection. I've also heard anecdotal reports that you have to do them in a particular order to do this. However I don't have any authoritative information on this.

I did Eircom free then did Esat free , Esat never asked me at the start had I already done a free trial, but when I was about to get hooked up they asked and I said yes but I said I did not know and why did they not say it at the start, so they said ok , so I got 2 trials I am also waiting for smart so I might chance a 3rd,

Esat have a new deal, with line rental & broadband for €49 p.m., with no minimum contract period. Unless I'm mistaken this is the best deal (without any commitment) out there at the moment?

[broken link removed]

Thanks I will stay with esat with no fixed contract until smart start up,

has anyone else heard, that when those who have signed up to smart telecom are being changed over (in july august or september seems to keep changing) there will be a downtime (of your phone line) of a couple of weeks! apparently eircom are saying they wont be able to deal with it any quicker than this! this is a bit of a downside for me, hope its not true, would be glad to hear its not

10 working days line outage or so, sometimes less. You also lose your old phone number so when the line comes back on after (up to)10 days it will have a different number and you will have lost your old number forever unless you forward it to the new one at a cost of about $10 a month and local calls.

Even that is still cheaper than eircom albeit to be paid on top of the €35 a month advertised by Schmart !

As someone who couldn't get BB on our phone line due to Eircon I am more than happy with the SmartBB service so far. Great download speeds so far. We did have to get rid of our current number and take a smart phone number but there was no downtime in the switchover at all.

The problem lies with Eircon not wanting to allow a competitor to compete and they are in court over this due to the fact that they are wantonly ignoring the communications regulators directions on opening up their network for other companies to offer products.

The fact that Eircon don't get a full line rental from us anymore is simply icing on the cake :)

Just to add, anyone calling our old number seems to get forwarded to the new one. We do not appear to have been charged anything for this.

Hi machalla, could u be really checky and ask what exchange you are on. I am being told by eircom that i cannot get bb from them and would like to see if smart will be able to help me.

Cheers,
Eain

machalla said:
Just to add, anyone calling our old number seems to get forwarded to the new one. We do not appear to have been charged anything for this.

famous last words. you have call forwarding set up so you will pay a rental (not at the full rate) to Eircom every month and the cost of the calls forwarded.

Back