VW Warranty issues - how long to resolve?

Round Tuit

I have an 03 Golf (over 3 years old now) with what appears to be a small bubble/raising of paintwork on the edge of the roof, the paint on this bubble recently cracked and slight rust is beginning to emerge. I went to MSL believing this to be a warranty issue under their paint and body defects warranty whichcovers much longer than 3 years. At the outset the meeting was quite negative with the MSL staffer believing it was coming from somewhere that they wouldn’t have responsibility for. Having looked at the boot and pulled up the rubber along the edge of the roof he was very surprised to see no breaches in the finish anywhere and became much more positve, took photos and other details of car and said he’d send it off to warranty to see what they’d say. 3 weeks after initial meeting I phoned for feedback and was told the initial application had been refused by “Warranty” but that they’d re-applied. It will be another 2 weeks since that conversation tomorrow and I’ve heard nothing since
Am just wondering has anyone had a similar experience, how long did it take to resolve and was it covered by the warranty?

Threaten legal action. Do not let them mess you about. Take control.

At last - after a couple of letters on my part they have come back and say yes, they will fix it under warranty.
This does not apparently cover me getting a replacement car while mine is being fixed which I thought it would . . . I don't know why I thought it would but I can only take the MSL Service guys word for it that it doesn't - unless someone in AAM land knows better and has something concrete to back up their opinion.
Over to you.

You won't automatically get a replacement car, however the garage you're dealing with can 'make representation' on your behalf for one (possibly to MDL - or is that who you're dealing with?). VW customer care is shocking in my experience - go right to the most senior person in the department you're dealing with and argue your case. If they won't give you a replacement car, ask them to come and pick it up from your home/place of work (I've argued for both a replacement car and collection in the past, and gotten both of them, and outside the warranty period too - took ages though and blood pressure still hasn't recovered.....).

I've had warranty issues with VW as well. I bought s/h car privatly and knew there was an issue with anti-roll bar. After buying I promptly brought it to VW and everything was covered. I tend to keep away from the Dublin VW garages and headed down to one of the Country franchaises whom I've found are extremely helpful. I asked for a replacement car and was given one free for the week. Since then I've continually returned for services etc and been treated very well.

Also, I believe that there could be a 10 year warranty on the paintwork with VW