VW vans- Transporter & Candy Engine Q

taz

My husband has a 01 VW Transporter long stort short spend alot of money replacing engine and other parts last year and we want to buy another smaller reliable van as every week something different seems to go wrong with it. Q is if he buys a VW Caddy (2005) and needed parts can he use parts from the VW Transporter van if need be or are the engine parts completly different. There is no point trying to sell VW transporter as would not get much for it in todays market.

Thanks

I dont think so, the Caddy is basicly a Golf if you have the new shape 2005 model. The engine (TDI & SDI) that was shared with the transporter (1.9 only) was changed in 2003 as far as I can tell. So a pre-2003 model may do the job as long as you have a 1.9 SDI or TDI engine in your transporter.

I would not but a Caddy 2nd hand in a million years, I had a 2005 TDI and the twin mass flywheel died after 15kms yes KM'S. And also the passenger front wheel bearing. I got in 06 a TDI dsg caddy and it was a fantastic comfortable van as all caddies are great to drive. I sold it after 45kms with no trouble, but the guy I sold it to had the twin mass flywheel replaced at around 60kms. So I would not buy a VW out of warranty, as flywheel failures are common in all the vw TDI range. Now I hear from scouring the internet that the new golf is of much better quality as I guess this is vw's last chance to restore peoples lost faith in VW. As I would buy a bravo much quicker than a golf these days! Your choice but I would NOT buy a out of warrenty Volkswagen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cost of flywheels and labour is around €1500. And the general service charges are a joke anyway.

Back