VW Transporter or Merc Mixto

pup

Hi,
I am in the market for a new van. I have narrowed it down to the Transporter Kombi or the Mercedes Mixto. Any advice would be grateful. Thanks

Vw or Merc:I have vw transporter crew cab,03 and 06, and a merc 110 Vito crew cab 03,and this is the 3rd one I've had.
Merc, has just cost me €1800 on repairs and all fairly simple things, brake pads, disc's and injector as it was hard to start lately,it also had €800 repairs this time last year, I will certainly try my best not to buy another,
Vw , 03 cost €500 on repairs last year and same this year,
Vw 06 has been in garage several times in last few months to try and cure an electrical fault, at this stage they have no idea whats wrong or how to fix it, The fan comes on during the night or the day and will stay on till it flattens the battery, Its due to go back in again tomorrow, I don't like the new Merc due to back wheel drive.so to answer your question I would prefer the VW.

I'm not saying the VW's are great I'v had some repairs on them too, but I've also been advised by a head mechanic in vw's that the new 2.5s give clutch trouble, our 03 one is 2.5 and clutch used to slip when it was new but it hasn't failed yet, the 06 one is only a 1.9 and no such trouble, only this fan thing, but its under guarintee still,
Workmen would rather travel in vw's more leg room but Merc is a faster van and its a little heavier on the juice. Hope this helps,
Note: I hate advising anyone on what to buy,

You'll have less trouble with the 2.5 to the 1.9. The 1.9 is not able for the job and everything packs up.

Buy a Transit!!!!!! Those other 2 are a load of junk! spend more time in the garage than on the road.

Would have to agree. There's a reason Transit's are so popular. Even if it's as unreliable as the other two (highly unlikely), it'll be a lot cheaper than either to fix.

Thanks for the replies. The trouble with the transit is that I would like seats in the back and then the boot with them seperated by the bulk head. I think its too big, but I will look at them soon.

Back