VW Polo vibrating when idle

jillyb

hey there

Bought a '07 Polo 1.2 comfort last week and my other half noticed that it was vibrating a bit when idle in traffic.

Called a few VW dealers and explained over the phone and they said it could be a number of problems.

I have a 3 month warranty with the car so i called the dealer I bought it from and he took it in no prob and had a look at it. He said he checked spark plugs etc and found nothing wrong. He said as its a 3 cylinder engine it runs differently to my previous car; a peugeot 206.

Anyone have a similar experience? As my other half still thinks there is a problem

thanks

You could bring it to another mechanic/garage and get an independent assessment. You'll need to pay for that, but it might be worth it to ensure any issues are correctly identified and resolved within the warranty period.

Hi Jillyb,
I have had 3 Polos, my current one is 05. I never had a problem with the first two but recently I noticed vibration as you mention, now that the car is getting older I put it down to that.
The only problem I had with all 3 is that sometimes the automatic window will not go up or down, it is ok except in very cold weather.
Good luck Browtal

jillyb, sorry if this is totally simplistic and you knew it already.

Is the engine idling at very low revs? Does the vibration go away if you touch very lightly on the accelerator to bring the revs up by a couple of hundred rpm? Is it possible that your automatic choke is not engaging or is cutting out early? Usually the choke engages if you stamp on the accelerator just before turning on the ignition.

Its hard to tell alright if its just the 3 cylinder engine i'm not used to.
I called into a VW dealer on my way home yesterday to let them have a quick look. They didn't seem to think there was anything up as not lights on the dash and it wasn't vibrating that much-but they'd have to do a diagnostic test to be sure.

It only seems to happen when i'm driving for about 5 mins and the engine warms up and then i pull up to a set of lights. The rev counter stays just under 10 when i'm in traffic. It doesn't seem like it will cut out though.

dub_nerd - i'll have to check the touching of accelerator if that changes it. I guess i'll just have to keep an eye on it and that it doesn't get worse!